Hi all!!! My DD8 just joined team this year... (plus, a question!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD8 has been in the rec program at our gym for K3, K4, K5, and levels 1 and 2. The first two years were in the preschool program, and the last three have been in the developmental program. She loves gymnastics!!!

She never expressed an interest in team until the end of 2nd grade (last April). After I explained the level of commitment she would need to make, she was like "maybe I'll do it later," so we didn't try out. She had a few things to work on before taking L3 classes, so I purchased some private lessons with a team coach. Boy, was I shocked at the difference in how quickly she learned! After that I really didn't want to do classes again and private lessons were getting pricey, so we decided to bite the bullet and see about joining the team.

After her first workout with the Prep Op Bronze group, they said she was a good fit and we signed up! My DD is sooooo excited. She's been telling everyone and is looking forward to the twice weekly 2-hour practices. She even likes the girls in her group, and they were super sweet in showing her what to do at each "station" for the first practice!

I do have one question. I was told that you don't get to choose whether you compete the JO levels or the Prep Op categories, that the coach chooses for you. I guess I was wondering if she competes Prep Op and stays in the sport long enough to get to the higher levels, will it be possible for her to switch over to the JO levels if she wants? I'm sure they placed us in that group, because my DD also takes piano lessons and has a weekly church commitment, but I was just curious. (That is ASSUMING she stays in the sport long enough to be concerned about it! I know there is a lot of burn out in gymnastics.)

Glad to be here!!!

If you don't want gymnastics to consume your lives, Prep Op is great. She will get to progress, albeit not as quickly, but she will still have time for all the other things she wants to do and try. If she ever decided that she wants to pursue gym in a more serious way then you will need to talk to her coaches about whether they will consider her for their USAG team. It requires a big commitment from the whole family-time and money. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing-you just need to be aware of it.

Some gyms are very strict about crossing back and forth between Prep Op and USAG...others, not so much-depends on the gym.

I think if she is still not sure about it (or you are not sure about it) then she is great to stay where she is. Let her see how she likes her first team experience.

And welcome to the Chalk Bucket, by the way!! Glad to have you here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back