Hi everyone

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been reading here for a long time but have never properly introduced myself.
I am the mom of two gymnasts. DD1 is 10 and finishing her 1st level 7 season. DD2 is 7 and is on junior team about to join the team in May where she will be a level 4.

So needless to say our lives are ruled by gymnastics but we are trying to find ways to balance everything else as well. As a matter of fact DD1 also plays tennis and loves it as much and we recently opted to lower the amount of hours she trains at the gym (down from 20 to about 12) in favor of playing a little more tennis. So far we have not seen that this hurt her gymnastics in any way. In fact in her last meet she got her highest AA score for level 7 (36.00) and managed to win vault (9.45) and come 3rd in the AA.

So, we are headed into level 8 and level 4 and I must say, I love this community and I have learned SO much about gymnastics just from reading other parents and coaches posts.

Glad to have you on board! This site can be "addictive"! It is alot of fun and you will get support from people who really understand the world of gymnastics. I too have a level 8 daughter. She is 15 and lives and breathes gymnastics. She goes 17-20 hours a week (depending on whether or not there is a Sat. class.) If you need encouragement, you have come to the right place. If you just have a question, or want to share a gymnastics story or your DD's meet scores, this is the right place. I would encourage you to join the Parent's forum, lots of good stuff there!
Welcome! I hope we can talk again soon!:D

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been reading here for a long time and love how supposrtive and informtive everyone is.

Is you daughter already competing 8? My daughter has her last level 7 meet this weekend and then will start on skills for 8. It seems to me that the jump from 7 to 8 is huge, so I wonder how she will do. Bars is difficult for her (no cast to handstand yet) so I hope will not prove to be a real hurdle.

Welcome, mkr10! We are glad you've been here, and have decided to finally introduce yourself. How fun to have 2 kids in gym..busy-busy! I am glad to hear your older one also likes tennis. Nice for them to have 'other' interests. I have a 13 yr old who competed L6 this past Fall, and then a couple of Prep-Op meets in Jan. Right now she is taking a break from competitive gymnastics and will decide in a couple of months if she wants to continue or not.

Good luck to your dd in getting those L8 skills! No cast to handstand for my dd either (before she stopped), and it seems here in TX, they are all casting to handstand by their L6 season-sheesh!:)

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome. I have followed your moving to FL and then to TX and watched your DD's videos - she looks great, I hope she decides to come back to gym but I understand it was due to her having to wear a brace. How is she doing at her new school and is she still going to gym from time to time?

Yes, level 8 will certainly pose a challenge for my DD. I think she'll be fine on floor (she can already twist) and beam but vault (although she is a good vaulter) and especially bars will be hard to get.

It will be interesting to see if she can achieve it with less hours at the gym. She does love tennis and is a really good player, so we thought it better to be invloved in something other than gym, since we see that as the girls approach the age of 12 they tend to quit gym....it's good to have something to fall back on.

So, we are headed to her last level 7 meet for this season (she will compete 7 again next fall since where we are the level 8 season is in the spring).

Wish us luck!

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome. I have followed your moving to FL and then to TX and watched your DD's videos - she looks great, I hope she decides to come back to gym but I understand it was due to her having to wear a brace. How is she doing at her new school and is she still going to gym from time to time?

Yes, level 8 will certainly pose a challenge for my DD. I think she'll be fine on floor (she can already twist) and beam but vault (although she is a good vaulter) and especially bars will be hard to get.

It will be interesting to see if she can achieve it with less hours at the gym. She does love tennis and is a really good player, so we thought it better to be invloved in something other than gym, since we see that as the girls approach the age of 12 they tend to quit gym....it's good to have something to fall back on.

So, we are headed to her last level 7 meet for this season (she will compete 7 again next fall since where we are the level 8 season is in the spring).

Wish us luck!

Good luck! I'll bet she'll get the skills she needs by next Winter for L8. :)

Thanks for asking about my dd. She said yesterday that she LOVES her new school. I don't think she's ever said that about any of her schools, lol! As for gym, she is still doing the tumbling class, and likes it. They said she could come in any time and work on bars/beam on her own at no charge-they are being very supportive of her. However, she's hardly spent any time doing that...I'd like to see her do more, just to keep up those skills, but...it's her gig. I just can't read her well enough to know where she is headed w/ her decision right now. I think a huge piece of it will be based on how she likes the new head coach that is coming in April, and what the practice schedule will be like. She does not want to get too intense w/ gym anymore.

I too, am very interested in seeing how the 'less hours' schedule will affect your dd's gym. I am of a mind lately, that they do not need as many hours as the gyms want us to think they do. I think there is just a lot of pressure on these gyms to do the same hours as other gyms, so as not to appear 'worse' or whatever. Here in TX, some of the gyms are insane w/ the hours, and I wonder if that is really necessary. So keep us posted! ;)

HI and welcome!!! I have a daughter who is 10 also and a level 7. We have state next weekend and then she gets to move to 8. I think it is great your DD is playing Tennis along with gymnastics. We have asked DD many times if she would like to try something else, but her true love is the gym. Where state do you compete?

HI and welcome!!! I have a daughter who is 10 also and a level 7. We have state next weekend and then she gets to move to 8. I think it is great your DD is playing Tennis along with gymnastics. We have asked DD many times if she would like to try something else, but her true love is the gym. Where state do you compete?

Thank you for the warm welcome and good luck to your DD at the state meet. We already had ours in January. We are in NJ.
My DD's first love is gym and she would not give it up. She loves her gym, her coaches and her gym friends and she loves competing. But, she also loves playing tennis (she is not comepting yet...just in in-house tournaments). We also played a little role in having her play more because we see a little more longevity in tennis. We think it's a shame to devote 20 hours a weeks to one sport and have nothing else to fall back on when you decide to quit. So far it has been working out ok. We'll see.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back