Hi, I'm a new member.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dannolynn

Hello everyone!
I just signed up on this site. A friend mentioned it and I thought I would check it out. I haven't explored much, but it looks like there will be lots of great stuff on here!

A little bit about me... I'm 26. I started doing gymnastics on a regular basis when I was 23. I had done it off and on when I was younger (only rec. level), but my parents couldn't afford to keep sending me. So I've been doing it for 3 and a half years minus the time I've taken off for the 3 major injuries I've had, which totals about a year.

I broke my right eye socket after slamming my knee into my eye landing a front handspring front tuck into a resi pit. I had to have surgery to repair it, and now have a mostly metal eye socket! Then I sprained my ankle pretty badly doing a round-off off of a panel mat. My most recent injury, which I'm currently out for, is my back, which I hurt doing a front handspring vault over the table. Not sure exactly what I did to it... bruised, hyper-extended, strained, etc.

I'm on a prep op team in NH. I am currently only novice! Every time I push myself to get to another level I get injured, so I haven't advanced very far. I have only competed 2 times, so I'm not sure yet how I feel about it, but I love doing gymnastics, especially routines! I'm hoping my body doesn't completely give out on me, and that I will be able to do it for a long time.

Anyway! This introduction has become very long, so I will close for now. Bye! :)

Welcome to the site. There is tons of information on here. I've been a gymnast for 22 years and I still go into the gym and practice but I have quit competitions (for now). Anyway, I'm 24 and have "been around." Let me know if you have any questions or need some advice.

rachmeal03-
thanks! I will definitely take you up on that. It stinks that I'm currently out injured and can't really do anything (I'm not even allowed to stretch or condition), so I can't really put any advice into practice yet.

I'm one of those people that always seem to be having some sort of problem, whether it's fear issues, frustration, and just not being able to get certain skills. One example, I've been trying to do a round off back handspring on the floor and standing back handspring on the floor for almost 3 years now and still don't have it. Before I got injured I was doing both with a light spot. So close! Another thing I can't get is a kip. Any help on those skills would be appreciated.

I do have another question about beam. I get fearful of that, too, which is really hard to overcome. I really want 180 degree split leaps and split jumps on beam, but I can't seem to do it. I have them on the floor, they're one of my best skills on floor, but I can't seem to get my split jumps to be anywhere close to that. Any suggestions? I have ankle weights and I was doing jumps on my beam at home with them, also standing kicks with each leg. Is it just a fear thing and not wanting to go for it, or do I need more muscle power to make the move easier in general?

Sorry this got really long. Thanks again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back