Hi, nice to meet you

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumbellina82

Coach
Gymnast
Hi. I am a 31 year old woman. I was a rec kid. Now I have joined an adult class which I am really enjoying. I am currently working on handsprings, flysprings and front somersaults in class using the tumble track. I really need to motivate myself to do more conditioning and drills outside of class though. I am figuring that at home I should really try to get bridge kickover and improve my handstands and splits, and then maybe I can think about walkovers, because I could do all that with a mat, a wall and some determination. I am doing some fitness classes at the local sports centre which is definitely helping but I know I should do more gymnastics specific stuff. I find it harder to motivate myself when I'm on my own. Maybe I'll try keeping a training diary.

I did trampolining when I was at university and am also trying to get back some of my skills there, along with my control and confidence.

I'm also a level 2 British Gymnastics trampolining coach, but I'm not coaching now because I'm in Australia and the BG coaching qualification isn't recognised.

I have also done a bit of assistant coaching with young rec kids in artistic gymnastics.

I have spent a while reading this site for tips when I was looking to improve my flexibility before joining the gymnastics club and it seems really helpful and informative very supportive so I hope I can contribute to that in some way.

Thanks Pineapple_Lump.

I did have a look at that but the BG course is quite different to the Australian one and you have to show competence in all the areas. You can't just get recognition from some and take the rest of the Aussie course at a discounted rate and it is very expensive to do the course. I haven't covered things like sports nutrition, drugs in sport, DMT or tumbling (I'm sure i could gen up on the first two very quickly but how to prove it?) but I have covered progressions and physical spotting for moves up to and including single somersault. Even if I did manage to get RPL for the Australian level 1 I wouldn't be able to coach saltos. You need level 2 for that, at which point you are also good to coach doubles so quite a jump.

Well its not level 1 or 2 you would be given as the framework has changed (beginner, intermediate, int bronze, advanced, advanced silver etc..). I believe that you can get a letter of support from a HC within your club stating your knowledge and experience. If it works anything like the current coaching level appeal process you will get what ever you ask for o_O

I see, thanks. I saw something on the Gymnastics Australia website about the framework changing but I thought it was from beginner, intermediate, int bronze, advanced, advanced silver to level 1, 2 etc rather than the other way around. I will have to have another look at the different coaching levels in Australia and what they cover.

Great to see another adult gymnast here! I am also an ex-rec-kid adult gymnast. I am a bit confused, though, you say you are in Australia but your flag says Austria?

Oh whoops! I hadn't notice that. I must have slipped when I was selecting country as an option. I'll see if I can change it. Thanks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back