hi

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sally

Proud Parent
Hi there, My name is Sally and my daughter is 5 years of age and is in the international side. I don't know too much about gymnastics as I am into tennis. I am joining here to try and find out about the sport gymnastics. I have a few questions that I would like to know.

My daughter is currently doing level 2a she use to do 5 hours a week, however new coaches have come in and told us that she needs to move up to 15 hours per week, as that is what is required for this level. It is a big worry for me but my daughter really wants to do it. When I spoke to the coach about her progress she said that she is doing really well and that she is very flexible, however her strength is not as good. That came to me as no surprise as I was aware of that , and most of the time you have one and really need to work on the other.

My question is since she is moving up to 15hours a week shouldn't that be enough strength training for her or should she do more at home. I am just affraid with all those hours plus doing stength at home that she will end up hating gymnastics.

Hey Sally,
Welcome to the Chalkbucket.

The good news is I have been so educated by our Aussie members that I know you are from down under!

I think 15 hours a week for a five year old should provide plenty of strength training, and of the right kind. That will leave your little one with lots of time to have fun and hang out with Mom!

Join the parents group, through your user cp on the left of the screen. That will let you post in more forums. Ask any question you have. We have some great Aus and NZ coaches here who are always happy to help.

Hi. I'd think that they'd allow plenty of time in her program to develop weaknesses as well as strengths, so I would assume it's not necessary - especially if they haven't mentioned it.
I have a 5 yo beginner and am curious as to how your DD got involved in the program she's in?? I noticed from your other posts she doesn't particularly enjoy heights and I would have thought that would determine whether or not a child would like gymnastics (even leaving aside selection into elite).
Hope I don't sound too envious. ;)

I think 15 hours a week is a huge amount for a 5 year old. By law in the UK you are not allowed to do more than 14 hours until you are 8. She definitely won't need anymore training at home.

No not at all. She is fine with heights, bars, front saults and things like that fine. I think with beam because it is very narrow and really high, like over hear little head it causes a problem, she is fine jumping on beam and do the basic things on beam but doing a tic tok which is like a handstand into bridge then kickback over it is quite hard, and to do it on something so narrow must be even harder or maybe it just the confidence that is lacking not sure hence the question I asked

. She got selected in october 2008, they had asked her to come and trial I think the club must of said something about her. I do know that you can ring also and they will look at your child, in saying that they don't take everybody. Just the other day a girl came into trial and they told her not quite yet, so it is pretty hard to get in. They tested her in some tests. They look at flexability, strength, show determination and how well they listen, and maybe the way her body is not quite sure on that one. She is the youngest by about 10 months. And they test her every term. And they did a comp and the end of last year which came second on floor and vault and 4th on bars cause she fell off and 3rd on beam.

I totally agree with you I feel 15 hours is too much. I spoke to the coach and they said she has to do it. I think the problem is, all of the other girls are 7 and 8 this year, so they have said that everybody has to do it. She starts it next week, so I am kind of hoping that once they see it is way to much they might say that she can cut her hours down. I spose only time will tell. The one thing that is on her side, that she was a very good dancer and so last year she was doing something everyday. So maybe these extra hours will be the same as last year except she won't be dancing anymore, its only gymnastics

welcome to CB! I'm from Aus too:D
My experience with young girls doing a large number of hours is that they do burn out. When I first started at my new gym, there were 8 girls about 7 or 8 that were doing the international program. We now only have one girl out of that group and she has since moved to the National level. As for the rest, two have moved clubs and the rest just quit.
Good luck!

thanks for that. I agree. I will be watching very closely that is for sure. The moment she starts to show any signs of wearing out, I will be making her cut her hours, otherwise she can just go back to her normal club. We are going to give it a try so at least we can say to the coaches , we did try and she can't physically do it. One has already dropped out so now there are only 4 in her squad.

....She is fine with heights,...jumping on beam and do the basic things on beam but doing a tic tok which is like a handstand into bridge then kickback over it is quite hard, and to do it on something so narrow must be even harder or maybe it just the confidence that is lacking not sure hence the question I asked...I do know that you can ring also and they will look at your child, in saying that they don't take everybody....

The tic-toc is often one they start with because it's the least scary - because you never lose sight or grip of the beam. (Sorry I'm one of those know-it-all former gymnasts :D). If she's fine with regulation height for eveything else, maybe she was just having one of those days and will do it next time?
My sweetpea is the opposite - if the coaches don't keep a strict eye on her she's doing handstands up there (and she can't do a proper one on floor yet!!). At least she bends her legs when she falls off things nowadays. :rolleyes:
Does that mean you're from WA, Vic, or ACT?
I wouldn't worry too much about her hours unless/until your DD objects.
Mind you, that's easy for the mother of a child going 1 hr pw to say.

thanks for that, I can't really help her as I have never experienced it myself, but I can help her with the mental side and I keep telling her that the coaches must think that she can do it, otherwise they wouldn't have said to do it. I spoke to the coaches about the fear of the beam and they just seem to think it is an age thing, that she will get the confidence up once she sees the other kids doing it, they don't seem to concern about it. But thanks for the tips. I spose every child has their likes and dislikes. She loves the bars but actually she is better on floor and vault. Mind you haven't really seen her do a full routine on bars in a comp her hands always slip off lol, so maybe she is good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back