High Bar kips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so I finally have gotten my low bar kip a lot better and can connect it into my bar routine so now i am working more on high bar kips, but i am having so much trouble.

I have done two long hang kips in my life (one at summer camp, and one around december) but now i seem to be back to square one and am not close at all.

This is what my coach has told me to do, and what the coach at summer camp told me to do:
jump off the low bar to the high bar in a hollow body position, swing high so you are pretty much horizontal and parallel to the floor, stretch (almost arch) so your hips and shoulders are extended, snap your legs into the high bar, pull on the bar, (pull up pants), and then lean over the bar.

The thing is i can't seem to swing high enough so i can extend enough t get power. Is there some way to get my swing better? Is there something else i should know about long kips?

When i try to do them now it does not work at all. After i bring my legs to the bar i feel like I'm miles away from getting up to the high bar. It's like i have no power.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
thanks for the help

You could try doing them after two swings. Sometimes it's hard to get just the right swing jumping straight from the low bar so until you get the technique down this might help.

I agree with KBT. I had a young lady a few weeks ago that was struggling with her long hang kip. She was scared to jump to the bar, so she was flopping down and not getting enough swing. If you jump up to a nice hollow body with your hands over the high bar, then finishing the kip is mostly timing. It is easier to do than a glide kip -- if you have a good swing. I had Lawren work the kip off several tap swings. Then, I had her jump to the bar and just swing -- no kip. Then, jump, two tap swings, and kip. Finally, she jumped to the bar and did her long hang kip.

Now, she still doesn't get her hands over the bar, so she ends up coming up with bent arms. If you try to grab the bar at the point right in front of you, you take away some of your swing power and your hands rotate too far around which makes you push away from the bar at the end instead of getting over it. Point being, make sure your hands are over the bar when you jump up there!

With my long kips my coach said get a BIG swing . But I couldnt do them , so a teammate ( national team mate ) said jump and hollow your body than arch . So it reduces your swing. It really helped me , I got it first time after that ! Hope this helps.

wow.. sounds like youre having trouble because youre being asked to work on so much at once!

There are two schools of thought-

One, a kip on high-bar is like a kip on low bar. To achieve this, pull down slightly on the bar during the front swing, then kip as normal. Make sure your thighs are at the bar (or knees).

Two, a kip on high-bar is like... a kip on high-bar. To achieve this - catch the bar, stay tight and arched until the swing stops. As you begin to move backwards, feet to the bar and kip.

Either method is fine. I find the first method far more difficult, but looks far prettier. Both are good to master, though. If you do a straddle up (uphill, etc..) you will always use the long body hang (2nd method), and if you have powerful transitions and swing you will most likely attune yourself to the first option to control it.

It's hard for coaches to diagnose a problem without seeing. Im sure you coach is really a very good coach - ask them maybe to help you focus on one thing at a time and make those things perfect. One step at a time...

Good luck!!

Ryan

Robindq,
International Gymnast Magazine had a great article about long hang kips. The bigger the swing you have, you need to bring your shins to the bar, NOT your feet. If your swing reaches horizontal, bring your knees to the bar. It makes sense that with a small swing, you bring your toes to the bar. A large swing has more momentum so you have less time for the "pull your pants up" action. Experiment with the kip from different amounts of swing to figure this technique out. I found that long hang kips were easy from a very tiny tap swing, but the higher the swing, the harder they became, until I understood what this article revealed. You'll figure it out. I wish you success! :)

Everyone else has great advice. Why not try putting a tramp/springboard under the high bar and jumping up to it from there as well? That should give you more power in the swing and allow you to work on your technique.

i'm in almost the same situation, i have my low bar but i'm really close to high bar also. (i havent made one yet though.) So good luck and tell us when you get it!

Considering in the USAG JO WAG compulsories that a tapping kip isn't preferred/allowed, we have to train the low bar light kip. One of the biggest thing to focus on is catching the HB from a jump from LB with a hollow body, hips as high as possible.

Not to just frog jump and catch it.

We try to teach the girls to use the smallest horizontal jump necessary focusing on going vertical so they have more swing time.

In the MAG, it doesn't matter on HB. I try to teach a non tapping HB kip though and generally I/we train a LB kip first or train it on PB first as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back