WAG High School Gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast9261

Gymnast
What skills does your local high school require you to have for tryouts? I'm too busy to actually be on my team, just curious :)

Well my town doesn't have a team, but one of my teammates from my old gym that I'm still friends with is on one. They require:
Floor: Round off back handspring layout, front layout front pike or front handspring punch front front pike, 180 degree switch leap or 180 switch side, double full turn (those are the big things)
Beam: 1 flight (bh, round off), BWO BWO or cartwheel cartwheel, front layout or bhs tuck dismount, full turn, 180 leap or 150 switch leap (again, big skills)
Bars: in order to compete they really look for a kip cast handstand free hip handstand, pike on or sole circle, long hang kip cast handstand, free hip handstand giant layout flyaway OR 2 consecutive giants layout flyaway
Vault: tsuk or yurchenko or twisting front vault
I'm interested to see other replies!

The state follows basically JO L8 rules... BUT teams are willing to accept girls who have at least L3/L4 skills minimum. There is no guarantee you will compete if you don't have the skills, but for a school with a smaller team, they often compete girls without all of the requirements.
They just maximize the routines the best they can.

Here are the minimum requirements for 3 of the teams in the local area:
Minimum Requirements to make the Gymnastics Team
For a Gymnast to make the Gymnastics Team, She must meet Minimum Requirements on 3 out of the 4 Events. If she is able to do this, she is on the team regardless of the number of girls that try out.

If there are less than 9 Gymnasts that meet 3 out of the 4 Event Minimum Requirements, then the girls that meet 2 out of the 4 Event Minimum Requirements will make the team as well.

Making the Gymnastics Team does not guarantee Competition- these requirements are not requirements for Competition- only for making the team.

Vault
Handstand Flatback onto Stacked Mats (Resi-Pit)

Bars:
Pull over on the Low Bar
Cast Back Hip Circle on the Low Bar
Jump from Low bar to High Bar (can be with coach spot)

Beam:
Full turn on the Beam
Acro Skill (i.e.:Handstand, Cartwheel, Back Walkover)
Jump Combination with 2 Jumps
Leap or Jump with Leg Separation (i.e.:Split Jump, Split Leap, Straddle Jump)
One Jump that is “B” Gymnastic Value (i.e.: Split Jump, Tuck Jump 1/2, Pike Jump)

Floor:
Roundoff Rebound
Back Bend Kickover
Front Limber
BackHandSpring (can be with a spot)
Full turn on Toe
2 “B” Gymnastic Jumps (i.e: Straddle Jump, Tuck Jump Full, Split Jump 1/2)
Split Leap or more difficult Leap

It the ultimate discretion of the Head Coach as to what qualifies as meeting Minimum Requirements.

I used to help coach a HS team and really anyone with some degree of gymnastics ability made the team. This did not guarantee you would compete a whole lot, but we didn't typically have a waiting list of girls to make the team. So anyone with at least one event they could compete decently was good to go. We only have 1 competitive club gym within a reasonable distance, and it is new, so most girls had only rec. gym experience or cheer at most.
Lots of girls didn't vault, those who did had a passable FHS. Our best vaulters would do FHS-1/2 or FHS-1/1.
Bars was the lowest skill level. To compete you needed a pretty basic routine- pullover/kip, cast back hip circle, squat on, long hang pullover (often spotted), back hip circle, cast push away long hang pullover, sole circle dismount or flyaway. Girls who could not do cast push away pullover would do a mill circle.
Beam we typically went for girls who were willing to do twisting jumps as it was the best way to meet requirements. Anyone who could do a series (bwo-bwo or cw-cw) was a star competitor.
Floor you needed 3 tumbling passes- typically 2 back and a front. Most often ro-bhs-tuck, 3 fhs series or fhs-ro-bhs, and ro-bhs-bhs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back