WAG High school routine construction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey so I am thinking about maybe doing high school gymnastics this year. I actually know all the requirements you need for each event, how many superiors, etc. and the bonuses you need. But I have no idea how to go about actually constructing those routines with the requirements. It seems confusing to have to focus on all the requirements, difficulty and bonus at the same time when making them. Can anyone give any suggestions on how to start this? It's been a few years since I've done gymnastics so I don't want to go right away into thinking about what skills I'm actually going to do, but can I have some suggestions on routine construction? Thanks!

It's actually really simple, just make a list of all the skills you have that will fufill the requirements. Then, once you have the right number of mediums, superiors, make sure you fulfill event-specific requirements. For example, you need a handstand element on bars, a dance-acro on floor and beam. Your coach will have a highschool gymnastics requirements rule book. It's basically level 9 rules, so level 9 routines generally don't need to be tweaked too much to meet the requirements. Making a list of needed skills for each event is probably the best way to organize your thoughts.

For bonuses, back to back superiors are a bonus, and so are bonus-high superiors. After you have a list for each event of what skills you will do, just add them into your routine! Have teammates help with choreographing, look on youtube for inspiration. If you have old routines, you can just replace certain skills to make it fulfill the requirements.

I use my USAG beam routine for HS gym, but my floor routine is slightly different from USAG to HS. Same music, different passes, jumps, etc.

Good luck! HS gymnastics is super fun, I think you should definitely try it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back