WAG Hold a handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! So I am getting so frustrated because I can't hold a handstand anymore. It's like I'm not balanced enough so I either give too much power and go over or not enough power. I would like to know what muscles are working while doing a handstand so that I can work on those and does anyone have any tips for me on how to hold a handstand for a long tme? I think this could really help my gymnastics in general so please help!!

Practice practice practice! For a regular handstand, try to hold one against a wall for as long as you can. Make sure your shoulders are pushed all the way up to your ears, if that makes sense. So, shrug your shoulders as high as you can. Now lift up your arms. That's how it should feel. Try doing it with your stomach to the wall. Also, make sure you are kicking hard enough. You can't save a handstand if you are falling backwards, but you can save it if you are falling forwards. It helps me to have my fingers bent a bit, because you can use them to keep your balance.
For a walking handstand, kick harder than you normally would. Your weight should be on your fingertips. The main thing is just to practice though!

Oh and if anyone has tips on how to do a walking handstand that would be good too! :)
I'm a parent who never did gymnastics, but I have worked myself up to a 5-6 second hold and the ability to walk short distances (I can get once across the gym floor). There are two main things I try to remember when going up into a handstand. First, try to reach your toes to the sky - this straightens your body. It seems obvious that you'd be doing this, but if I make a conscious effort at it, I get taller and straighter. Second, squeeze your abs and buns. If you're a noodle, you'll come right down.

I'm sure the coaches on here can give better gymnastics advice, but it had been a few days and you haven't had many replies.

Umm, practice them about 10,000 times. Seriously.

Make the Wall Handstand your friend. Eventually to balance off the wall by alternating one foot off the wall while one foot is in the air. You can eventually try to pull both off the wall and then put them back on the wall when you feel yourself losing your balance.

As for walking HS, practice HS shoulder touches while on the wall in HS. Learn how to lean onto one arm and pick up the other hand to touch same shoulder/same hand or side.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back