Holding back level 4's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I should have just edited, but I'm here so I'll get this out. Another big difference between L4 and L5 is this: L4 you can make mistakes and still pull off the majority of skills. L5 is a lot of gymnasts first experience with a mistake equaling not being able to do the skill. You can arch a back hip circle, or hook your leg slightly on a mill circle, and still make it. L5 comes around, and all the sudden a simple wrist flick is make or break with a kip.

A gymnast that can hear a correction, or feel one in a spot, and make a change (even if it doesn't result in the completion of the skill) is something that's great for a L4, necessary in a L5 and up. That kind of command over oneself physically shows that with practice they can work out identified issues that may arise a little bit easier than someone who relies strictly on skill repetition.

We also have a few gyms that hold them back for a year or 2 and those are the gyms with usually the high scores.Our hc/owner does not believe on holding back at the lower levels we start at L2.He says l2-L4 should be fun for kids and L5 is the start of doing real gymnastics.We have a fall and spring season and if a team had a rough fall season they continue to compete in spring.That is what my dd's team is doing come June they will be full time L5 even if the kids do not have all of the aquired skills they will continue to train L5 and compete when they are ready.I can see holding kids back in L5 or higher but the levels lower does not make since to me.

I would add to Linsul's point of off-season prep and say I've seen girls who did well at 4 not move to 5 because they missed part of the summer. Same with other levels. I know families that had something planned for a specific summer that would require time off gymnastics, so they made the decision ahead of time they would just go ahead with the assumption the level will be repeated, because otherwise it was too much stress. One of the girls who did L6 with me did that. She could have moved to 7 but missed most of the summer and repeated 6. She did win AA at nearly every 6 meet, but she didn't have all the level 7 skills that gym required like giants.

a couple of girls on my team repeated level 4. i think it is more important to move on; the higher levels require more training time. In level four, a 38 is not a big deal, she should work on raising her all around for a higher level

In our gym we do not have many repeaters in level 4. Infact, I was leary of Emma moving to level 5 because she was only 7. Our coaches were very good about explaining to me why she needed to move up. Our coach makes the move based on skill and maturity. I know in my DD's case, she would have been bored to stay another year as a level 4. She loves learning new skills and is having a blast in level 5. She is not having the "success" that she had in level 4. Meaning, that she used to place top three/four pretty routinely at meets last year and this year is placing more in the 6th - 8th place in the AA. She has yet to get a 36 AA and did it pretty regularly last year. I am proud that she does not even care what place she is in. Not that she does not try to do her best. She is just happy to compete. If she comes home with some bling, it is a good day. Now, as she gets older will she begin to notice more? Will she want to stand on that top podium? I am not sure. I do know, she is already learning level 6 skills and is loving it.
She sounds just like me! Everything you said about her is true of me, except I'm 15 ;) I wish I were still 7!

The main reason for holding level 4's back is generally if they don't have the level 5 skills. There is a HUGE jump from level 4 to level 5. They need handspring vault, glide kip, jump to high bar, long kip, cartwheels on beam, handsprings on floor, back extension rolls many skills which can be hard for youngsters to master.

Just because they are scoring brilliantly at level 4 it doesn't mean they will be ready for level 5. Bars is often what hold them back, it can take some kids years to get their kip and many very small girls struggle to jump to high bar.

IMHO girls who don't have the skills to move up a level would (more often than not) be better investing their time in uptraining and conditioing than in doing the same thing over and over. That must be awfully disheartening. I'm not sure there'd be much satisfaction in winning a state title or setting a record against younger and newer kids at your 3rd annual attempt when the majority of your competitors have simply moved on up without you. JMHO.

I know at our gym the next level is based on skills achievment. The biggest jump from 4 to 5(skill wise) in my oppinion is bars. It is important also to remember it is not a race. If the gymnast is pushed too quickly and they have not achieved the skill nessecary to compete at that level not only do you risk injury to the gymnast physically, but you also risk injury to the mental. Both of which are essintial to this sport.

Last edited:
This is tough time of year for many of the girls. Very few don't want to move up -- ready or not. Many are competitive by nature (that's why they're on a team). I don't envy the coaches or gym owners who have to make some tough decisions. My DD is anxiously hoping to move from L4 to L5 next month. Based on the helpful posts here, it has solidified my own thoughts that she should unquestionably move up. I hope the coaches agree.

The kip is understandably a huge requirement at our gym and they've made it very clear to the gymnasts (and parents) that they won't move up if they don't have the kip by mid-summer. I love having that clear standard. Vault table size is also a concern for some of our younger girls, as is the very subjective maturity factor.

I just hope if our gym (and others) hold girls back they're spending quality practice time on L5 skills. It will help alleviate boredom and help ensure more moves next year.

IMHO girls who don't have the skills to move up a level would (more often than not) be better investing their time in uptraining and conditioing than in doing the same thing over and over. That must be awfully disheartening. I'm not sure there'd be much satisfaction in winning a state title or setting a record against younger and newer kids at your 3rd annual attempt when the majority of your competitors have simply moved on up without you. JMHO.

Repeating levels: Our gym has a written skills list for each level. These are the skills the gymnasts need to compete. If the gymnasts can do all of those skills consistently and well prior to the season, they can compete that level. This means they could repeat the same level or move to the next. Scores are important and they need to qualify according to USAG guidelines but they are not limiting. This takes the sting out of repeating levels because a kid can have a bad year score wise then really dig in and prepare for the next level and totally rock it.

IMHO, the gyms that repeat lower levels multiple times regardless of scores, are after the bragging rights of high scores. They can also retain the level 4 and 5 gymnasts for several seasons. This is unfair to the gymnasts who have the skills and scores and regard repeating levels about as exciting as repeating grades in school. They want to move up to optionals.

Update

I didn't realize this thread was still active! Just to "update" the girl we saw at last yrs L4 States (that I complained about in this post) were not staying back to get new skills, perfect old ones or get comfortable. The one mentioned in particular just competed L8 States as a 9 yr old!!! This was of course after ruffling feathers because she competed as a very over qualified L6 at States and then L7 too. They strategically held her back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back