Parents "Holiday" and Summer schedules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am so, so lucky that Puma is a teacher and I work part time. I have often wondered what people do when all adults involved work full time. I feel like even in our situation we have to get really creative sometimes. (Puma also teaches martial arts most nights/weekends/sometimes out of town) This must be incredibly frustrating. Good luck!!

I generally like the change to early schedule, but this year the holiday schedule was done very unfairly. They started the daytime schedule the week when the majority of the team girls got off for break, but 8 of them (including) my daughter still have school. My daughter missed a day of school and then they added a 3 hour (2 1/2 hours less than everyone else went) evening practice 1 night with the compulsory coach. That doesn't really make up for a missed week of practice.

I generally like the change to early schedule, but this year the holiday schedule was done very unfairly. They started the daytime schedule the week when the majority of the team girls got off for break, but 8 of them (including) my daughter still have school. My daughter missed a day of school and then they added a 3 hour (2 1/2 hours less than everyone else went) evening practice 1 night with the compulsory coach. That doesn't really make up for a missed week of practice.
Fair is relative.

I can assure it will never be equal (fair and equal is not the same thing). Someones schedule will not be able to be accomodated. You are OK with moving it to earlier in the day, as the OP has pointed out it is a hardship for others. But you don't like the actual days, so that makes it unfair. And I am not picking on you specifically because we all have days and times that dont work for us.

They do the best they can.

Our gym has kids in at least, 5 districts, in 2 counties, public, Catholic and military. Working parents, 2 parent households, single parent, etc...They do the best they can for the majority of the kids.

My daughter has been on the end of not being able to attend practice when most can. And there have been times she could and others can't.
The gym does the best they can and tries to allow for make ups.

That would totally bother me if they changed the holiday break schedule while a bunch of girls were still in school!!
To me, if they can't make the schedule where everyone can make it, they really should keep it the same, and let each girl's family decide if/when they can make it.

Honestly, I do prefer when they change to the early schedule during break, but I have felt bad for the couple of girls who can't make it because they go back to school before everyone else. So to me, the truly fair thing is to keep it the same as the school year, that way school break isn't a factor when different breaks are considered...

Fair is relative.

I can assure it will never be equal (fair and equal is not the same thing). Someones schedule will not be able to be accomodated. You are OK with moving it to earlier in the day, as the OP has pointed out it is a hardship for others. But you don't like the actual days, so that makes it unfair. And I am not picking on you specifically because we all have days and times that dont work for us.

They do the best they can.

Our gym has kids in at least, 5 districts, in 2 counties, public, Catholic and military. Working parents, 2 parent households, single parent, etc...They do the best they can for the majority of the kids.

My daughter has been on the end of not being able to attend practice when most can. And there have been times she could and others can't.
The gym does the best they can and tries to allow for make ups.

Completely disagree. The OP is talking about gym conflicting with work schedules. It absolutely stinks that it's difficult for the parents to get kids to gym. It's can definitely cause hardship for PARENTS.
Beachgirl's issue is different because the conflict has to do with the CHILD. There really isn't a make-it-work situation here. Missing school isn't really an option.

Agreed.

Thankfully, in our area, for the most part all the kids have the same winter break schedule, give or take a day (for Easter that's not the case, but IIRC, they mostly observe a regular practice schedule).

This winter, they gave us weekends off, but added an afternoon for DD's group on a day when some kids had school. So a few kids were late or skipped (and it snowed, anyway...).

The rest of the break has moved to daytime, which sucks for working parents, but kids are at least all off school.

In a previous gym, they largely followed the area public schools break schedule, so the private school kiddos lost 1-2 weeks of practice per year due to different summer breaks, which I thought was really unfair, even though it didn't affect us.

Current gym's "summer schedule" is shorter, so summer day schedule starts 1-2 weeks later and back to school evening schedule starts earlier. I actually love this despite being a SAHM, as it gives us a few weeks of daytime in summer to get out and enjoy the weather. And I imagine it makes the lives of working parents easier, so win-win.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back