Off Topic Holiday Thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Happy Christmahannukwanzahumanewtonaliasolstivus to all!

Anybody do anything fun, go anywhere cool, or give/get any neat gifts? Fun holiday traditions?

I spent a few days visiting family up in Massachusetts, got my twin nieces hooked on my favorite author from my childhood (Bruce Coville), and destroyed my brother and my cousins in Mario Kart 8.

We wrapped up the visit the same way we do every year: with the entire family gathered around the piano singing christmas carols (even though none of us are Christian)

What about the everybody else?

I’m spending the week with my mom and dad. Mom is getting frail so I don’t know how many years we have left with her. On Sunday I fly back and go back to work on Monday. Dad and I got out to see Star Wars yesterday.

We went to NYC for a last minute (decided and planned in two weeks!) family wedding. I’ve not been to a Jewish wedding ceremony before but it was beautiful and we had so much fun! We then went home on Christmas Eve to do our family traditions- opening gifted books and reading the day away, followed by watching my favorite (obscure) Christmas movie before bed.

Had all my kids home, and their other halfs, for the first time in ages. Was lovely.

Have our community resolution run planned for the 1st, then fly to Glasgow to drop youngest off at the Uni for a term. Then down to see the parents as they are struggling with some health issues too, and I am far away. Then back home for a week and off to Mexico for a month, escaping February cold is my pan.

Did Christmas at our parents' house on the 24th ... OG stopped by our house after my sister got home from work and before we left for the parents' house. OG was so excited to give my sis her present - and couldn't wait any longer. It was a train set. My sister LOVES trains. We were supposed to leave to go at 4:30 ... 20 minutes after sis got home. It's typically a 45 minute drive. We left at 4:45. arrived at almost 6pm (the fog was SUPER thick ALL DAY, in some areas we couldn't even see the next telephone pole ... and at best, we could see just past the next pole).
When we arrived, I had to make the deviled egg filling and fill the eggs. Then we ate dinner.
After everyone was one eating, we opened presents.
Most of us had asked for practical gifts - so to most people, it wouldn't be super exciting. And Mom always gets us a box of food - she still gets her Wal-Mart discount and when they offer their associates a discount on grocery items, she takes advantage of it.
Us "kids" all asked for practical things (things we buy regularly, but if someone else buys it, it saves us money so we can pay off the mortgage early).
We got Mom an instant pot, an engraved mother's ring (which didn't arrive in time, so we have to take it to her this weekend), and the girls got her a teddy bear key chain from NYC. We got Dad a box of "Turtles" and the girls got him a framed photo of him with them - from OG's Senior Pictures.
We got our little sister a cookie sheet and a saucepan with a lid and a Visa gift card. She just moved out on her own at the beginning of October, so she went practical too ;)
We left at 8pm and were home a little after 9. Sis put her train set together and then we put the track around the Christmas tree.
On Christmas Day we didn't do ANYTHING - except sister worked most of the day.
On the 26th (yesterday), the girls came over so we could do our Christmas with them. They got me 3 tops ... with sleeves. They are all too small on me right now because a 2X in the brand I wear is a 3X or 4X in other brands and they got me 2X. I was able to put all the tops ON and pull them down (thankfully, they all have stretch in them).
We got them "Big Sis" / "Lil Sis" necklaces. OG also got a butt pillow, a plush robe, and a gift card. YG got a neck pillow, a leo, a pair of joggers, and a certificate for a shopping spree with us.
Overall, it was a very good Christmas for us. :D

Had the eldest home from college, and just spent time with family, and rested. After this semester, I needed the break. Have to work bingo this weekend, and then rest some more. BIG plans there :p:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back