Parents Home conditioning exercises

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jaks

Proud Parent
Is it safe for my 6 year old to do some conditioning exercises at home?

If you had read my previous thread you will know that I was going to speak to the head coach about possibly moving my dd up. I have decided against this at the moment. My dd is keen to work at becoming stronger and more flexible.

conditioning is for the gym. so it's done correctly under supervision.:)

What I meant by conditions exercises was practicing the splits and bridges at home and maybe some handstands agains the walls or is that not a good idea ? My dd has been encouraged to practice her splits at home.

That's fine, Jaks.

Don't make it required. More of something that they choose to do whenever. They have to want to do it.

Or make like a goal sheet to stick on the fridge. Bridge, splits, etc.

I have brought my dd a reward chart for her exercises. She puts a sticker on the chart or each exercise she has done. She has started doing the following :

stand on her tip toes with her hands reaching up to the ceiling.
bending over and touching her toes or the floor.
lunge hold each leg.
candlestick
pancake
sitting on floor in a pike and reaching forward to her feet.
bridge with feet on something higher.
handstand against the wall.
sit ups with help.
Do each split as far as she can and hold it.

she started these exercises today holding each for 5 secs. She will probably aim for 10 secs in a week or so.

she also loves to do what she calls a wheelbarrow where I hold her feet and she walks as far as she wants on her hands.

My son has taken up running at home. Our block it about 1/2 a mile and he and daddy jog around it once after dinner on non-gym nights. He also does pushups and situp on his own often. He is fond of teh wheelbarrow up the stairs too!! All things he does on his own or next to his daddy. Sometimes they have contests, someday he is going to win!!!

Sometimes they have contests, someday he is going to win!!!
You just have to pick the right contests, and your son will win. We used to have handstand* contests and walking on hands contests when she was working up to 5s and 10s holds. I could only win 1 out of 10 times, but she had a lot of fun making fun of me and telling me how much better than me she was.

* If you've never done it before, do it somewhere safe and learn how to "fall" safely out of a handstand. I say that from (bad) personal experience.

I have brought my dd a reward chart for her exercises. She puts a sticker on the chart or each exercise she has done. She has started doing the following :

stand on her tip toes with her hands reaching up to the ceiling.
bending over and touching her toes or the floor.
lunge hold each leg.
candlestick
pancake
sitting on floor in a pike and reaching forward to her feet.
bridge with feet on something higher.
handstand against the wall.
sit ups with help.
Do each split as far as she can and hold it.

she started these exercises today holding each for 5 secs. She will probably aim for 10 secs in a week or so.

she also loves to do what she calls a wheelbarrow where I hold her feet and she walks as far as she wants on her hands.

these are okay, but she can save the bridges for the gym while under supervision.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back