WAG Home conditioning programs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
For her summer on-line independent study PE course, my daughter has to log 12 hours a week of exercise. Gymnastics practice was supposed to take care of that and then some. Our state has not announced a timetable for reopening gyms, and she's not going back this summer even if they do reopen. She does not like any video workouts other than her own gym's live Zoom workouts (1.5 hours a week).

Any suggestions for a conditioning or workout program that does not rely on video? Gymastics-specific is a bonus, but not required--at this point, anything that will get her moving is great. She found Dave Tilley's conditioning program confusing and overwhelming. I am thinking of ordering the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, but it looks as if it focuses on lifting heavy and relies on equipment we don't have at home. She didn't immediately turn up her nose at the suggestion of Couch to 5K, but she hates running so I don't think that would last long.

What about a phone app? I've used the 30 day Fitness Challenge app before. It's not video based and is a little more interactive than just printing out a workout. I also think the Couch to 5K program is good and could help her like to run.. My gymnast daughter doesn't like to run either, so I get that.

What about a phone app? I've used the 30 day Fitness Challenge app before. It's not video based and is a little more interactive than just printing out a workout. I also think the Couch to 5K program is good and could help her like to run.. My gymnast daughter doesn't like to run either, so I get that.

Ooh, an app is a good idea. She wants an app for everything.

I’m impressed that they expect her to log 12 hours a week of exercise. Aside from kids that do intense sports, I wonder how many even get that much exercise in general.

I’m impressed that they expect her to log 12 hours a week of exercise. Aside from kids that do intense sports, I wonder how many even get that much exercise in general.

The hours are supposed to make up for the total time they would spend in an entire year-long PE class. All the kids we know who have taken summer PE are athletes who are already training those hours anyway. The motivation is usually to get a study hall block during the academic year to make it easier to balance homework and sports.

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I do like the idea, of kids needing to complete a certain number of hours of physical exercise each week. Would love to see that as a part of our mainstream school curriculum.

Not sure how old she is, but does she golf? My DS12 has been golfing for about 5 years and starts a weekly league this Sunday. It's a sport that requires a lot of attention to detail, and a lot of walking, lol. And it's a little easier to social distance while playing, especially if parents play.

Not sure how old she is, but does she golf? My DS12 has been golfing for about 5 years and starts a weekly league this Sunday. It's a sport that requires a lot of attention to detail, and a lot of walking, lol. And it's a little easier to social distance while playing, especially if parents play.

For the first time ever, I’ve been wishing we were a golfing family. Alas, golf is one of the many sports Tinker Bell has tried and rejected.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back