Parents Home from Lake Owen

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2kazkids

Proud Parent
DD and I made it home last night from Lake Owen. We both had a blast, and plan to go back next year.

DD was in Group 6 (the lowest group), but still came home with her standing BHS, RO BHS BHS, BWO on low skinny beam with light spot, and getting to vault over the vault table. I think that at the beginning of the week she was very overwhelmed considering that the high beams were at eye level, and the vault table was taller than her. She only ate salad for the first two days as she could only see the salad bar, and I was off camp taking kids to MD appointments and could not help her. Our coaches heard from many other coaches how impressed they were on how all of the girls got along together from the "little girls" to the "big girls". The big girls that are leaving for college did many special things for the little ones on the team that were there.

I was there as nurse and was very busy for the week. The other nurse and I alternated going off camp and we both went 4 times. Duluth once, Ashland twice, and Hayward 5 times total. Only 2 trips were due to a gymnast (not doing gymnasts, but being where she should not have been) and the rest were action sport kids.

Barb

Barb,

Sounds like your DD had a great time, that whole food away from home can be a challenge, I think my DD lived on bread for a day or two. I am thrilled that you both like camp, it is such a great thing for kids to experience.

Sounds like she had a great week !! Those are some great skills she got - she must be feeling like quite the big shot now :D

Glad you and your dd enjoyed it. I should have mentioned that there is a Saltwater Taffy and candy store in Hayward where you can watch them make candy that is really good

Don't worry we found it. We rode with a mom that coached for the week and her daughter, and since the arriving nurse got there an hour early, I got to leave early and we drove into Hayward. Next year we plan to leave on Friday, and spend the night in Hayward so that we can shop in the morning before I have to be at camp.

Barb

Don't worry we found it. We rode with a mom that coached for the week and her daughter, and since the arriving nurse got there an hour early, I got to leave early and we drove into Hayward. Next year we plan to leave on Friday, and spend the night in Hayward so that we can shop in the morning before I have to be at camp.

Barb

Glad you found it!! Oh my gosh all the chocolate and all the different kinds of taffy are so good.

We stayed at the Americinn in Hayward last year and it was pretty convenient but the non-smoking rooms were stinky and smoky, just to stay in them we had to go to the Walmart in Hayward get Febreeze and Febreeze the rooms:yuck:

Barb--sounds like you and dd were busy!! Good for her for learning all those skills. The story about salads for only 2 days is sooo cute----I'll bet she was getting tired of that real fast and wished she could see all the other food.

Lake Owen is less than 1 1/2 hours from my house in Duluth!

I just got back about an hour ago from dropping DD off.. I miss her already!

Barb - I am glad you had a good time, it is reassuring to know that there are good Camp Nurses if my DD ever needs one! (Knock on Wood!!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back