Home school curriculum ???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

C's MOM

I know that I have asked before but I am really now down to the wire and need to choose a sound curriculum for my soon to be third grade, gymmie DD. Has anyone heard, tried, used, etc. Tapestry of Grace and/or Sonlight curriculums? I also like Horizons and am looking further into Lifepac. Another friend on here turned me on to the latter two.
Question: What HS curriculums have you used; and based on the best ones, which will you use again?

Thank You!

I am a certified school teacher; however, I teach 7th and 8th grades.

Personally, I hated the prepackaged curriculums. We have been eclectic from the start and wouldn't go any other way. I like being able to pick and choose which materials work best for each of my children. I would rather not supplement materials, as is often necessary with the prepackaged curriculums because you find that one subject just doesn't have enough or present it just right for your child. And remember, children are often asynchronous in their development across areas of study. This becomes more obvious in home schooled children who are allowed to work at their own pace.

Do you have a homeschooling store or a conference coming near you? Perusing the different material is the best way to find the right fit for your dd. We have a store near us and I love spending time exploring the shelves during the summer, to get ready for the next year. Also remember that the internet is a great resource to fill any gaps. As mine get older, we rely on it more because a large amount of their work is research based.

If you are in 9th grade and up and wish to make it through the NCAA Clearinghouse in order to participate in NCAA athletics, use this site as a guide: https://web1.ncaa.org/hsportal/exec/hsAction It lists the accredited classes by school (homeschool curriculum programs are offered by actual schools so every program may be found if you look in the right way).

Sounds like the OP is looking at 3rd grade, in which case there are TONS of options. I would also stay away from pre-packaged one-size-fits-all curriculum. One of the great things about homeschooling is the ability to do different levels or methods for each subject and even each different child.My kids are in a different grade in different subjects. I know it can be overwhelming at first, though, and an "everything" curriculum can seem like the best answer. However, with third grade you really don't need to stress out. Read lots of stuff together, see what she's interested in learning, and try to not to burn out. This can happen if you try to do too much at once or recreate school at home. I'd look at what's out there and take your time. Start with reading and math and then add in other stuff as you go and it seems to fit. At this age it's about not killing that love of learning more than anything else. There's lots out there elsewhere on the internet; obviously there are better boards than Chalkbucket for homeschooling talk. Here are some ideas (just read a little at a time; you do not have to do it all):

Home - Rainbow Resource Center, Inc. (order their print catalog - at over 1000 pages, you're sure to find something to interest you)

The Well-Trained Mind Forums (aka Hive Mind) - Powered by vBulletin (an extremely active homeschool curriculum message board based on the classical method of education)

HomeSchoolReviews.com -- Homeschool Curriculum Reviews (reviews of many popular homeschool curricula)

Cathy Duffy Homeschooling Curriculum reviews (thorough reviews - she does have a Christian slant, but it's not hard to weed through for the secular stuff)

I've used a lot of different curriculum (none of the ones you mentioned, I steer clear of all-inclusive and Christian stuff), so PM me if you have any questions (Story of the World, Singapore Math, RightStart Math, All About Spelling, Royal Fireworks Press Language Arts, Real Science Odyssey, Spelling Power, Sequential Spelling, and many others you can ask me about).

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

We do Alpha Omega's Switched on Schoolhouse. There are things I like about it, and things I don't. It is VERY Christian (as is everything by Alpha Omega-we chose it for this reason) The kids love that it is computer based. It also lets you pick and choose which lessons you want to go with. I have just started feeling comfortable with piecing together my own curriculum, but I'd say if you are desperate just to start and don't want to feel like you are in over your head (at least until you feel more comfortable), a pre set curriculum may be the way to go. My ds who just finished Kdg used Time 4 learning among other things. Its pretty decent-fun, internet based and all the stuff you need is right there in one easy place. As you get more comfortable with your situation, you will certainly see what works and doesn't work for your family. I think just deciding where to start is the hardest part!

Also, don't forget to check out your local library, homeschooling co-ops and even museums and science centers near you. They do LOTs of exhibits and little courses and classes that your kids might be very interested in taking.

Most of this will depend on your State's requirements, too. Don't forget that.

Have fun!! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back