MAG Home schooled?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Gym dad

Proud Parent
Just curious as to how many kids are home schooling. I am really concerned as to how my DS is going to handle a full day of school on top of 20 hours of practice a week.

My ds has been doing 20+ hours a week for about 5 years. The past 2 years, we added a 1 hour commute each way for practice. It was tough, but he has done it while staying in public school, keeping a high GPA and making ACademic All American last year. as a freshman. it is possible, but you have to get creative.

I always made meals for the week on Sunday. Breakfast/lunch/dinner for 4. I work full time as does my husband. So this was ready. He would get home from school and eat, do some homework for 30 minutes and then off to gym. Homework in teh car, dinner on the way home.

It was not ideal, but it has worked. He loves having the social part of school. This year, he is going to a modified schedule. Still full time at high school, but only 5 classes. He can leave at lunch, practice 2-6, and get home for dinner and homework.

Good luck! I could not imagine homeschooling him :)

My son has been in the gym 23 hours a week since 3rd grade. He will be in 7th grade next year and he made his first "B" (an 89!) last year in 6th grade. He likes public school and doesn't want to do home school gymnastics hours (33 hours a week) even though half of his team do the home school workout at gym.

My son has been in the gym 23 hours a week since 3rd grade. He will be in 7th grade next year and he made his first "B" (an 89!) last year in 6th grade. He likes public school and doesn't want to do home school gymnastics hours (33 hours a week) even though half of his team do the home school workout at gym.

I forget how long he has been doing this many hours! D just got above 20 hours a week this year! And it will drop back to 20 for the school year (with the occassional clinics).

Wow! I can't believe how many hours your kids train. My Ds has only been doing 16 hours a week the last couple of years. Will be a level 8 this year doing 20 hours.

Wow! I can't believe how many hours your kids train. My Ds has only been doing 16 hours a week the last couple of years. Will be a level 8 this year doing 20 hours.

My DS is a L10. He started doing 20 hours when he was a L8

I forget how long he has been doing this many hours! D just got above 20 hours a week this year! And it will drop back to 20 for the school year (with the occassional clinics).
I guess that's why I'm a little freaked out with the amount of gym he'll miss the first semester ,because of health class, going into competition season as a 1st year level 9....He'll only be going 18 hours a week the 1st semester....I keep telling myself that it will be ok but- ugh!

I guess that's why I'm a little freaked out with the amount of gym he'll miss the first semester ,because of health class, going into competition season as a 1st year level 9....He'll only be going 18 hours a week the 1st semester....I keep telling myself that it will be ok but- ugh!

He will be fine. It is perfect. And his body will be much better rested and healthy! That is something that gets forgotten as these boys get bigger!

We homeschool for non-gym reasons. It has been very helpful for our schedule, multiple kids in different sports with co-op classes.

My son wishes we would homeschool him for gym and non-gym reasons, but we both work full time. Our gym maxes out at 18 hours per week, which he could potentially reach next year as a 4th grader if he does well this year on level 6 (level 6 goes 12 hours per week and then levels 7-10 are 18 per week), I worry about it when he hits middle school in 5th grade because we get home from practice at 10pm, he takes a bit to wind down, and then middle school bus comes at 6:30 am. That's just not enough sleep for a 10 year old in my opinion. It is nearly impossible to get a modified schedule in NYS so not sure what we will do then. He loathes public school (he is a gifted learner who also has some "quirks" and there is no gifted programming in our area, nor tolerance for his differences) and is probably an ideal candidate for homeschooling but I just don't think we can ever make it work.

Just curious as to how many kids are home schooling. I am really concerned as to how my DS is going to handle a full day of school on top of 20 hours of practice a week.

I think if there are a variety of reasons you are homeschooling, then go for it. I have a hard time with the thought of homeschooling for gym...but I know others who have done it.

Yes! Thank you. I will need constant reminders. Lol!

That is what we are here for!!!

My son wishes we would homeschool him for gym and non-gym reasons, but we both work full time. Our gym maxes out at 18 hours per week, which he could potentially reach next year as a 4th grader if he does well this year on level 6 (level 6 goes 12 hours per week and then levels 7-10 are 18 per week), I worry about it when he hits middle school in 5th grade because we get home from practice at 10pm, he takes a bit to wind down, and then middle school bus comes at 6:30 am. That's just not enough sleep for a 10 year old in my opinion. It is nearly impossible to get a modified schedule in NYS so not sure what we will do then. He loathes public school (he is a gifted learner who also has some "quirks" and there is no gifted programming in our area, nor tolerance for his differences) and is probably an ideal candidate for homeschooling but I just don't think we can ever make it work.
Is there public school online where he could maybe go with one of you to work and do school while he's there?

Is there public school online where he could maybe go with one of you to work and do school while he's there?

Not sure on the rules with online schools in NY (the regulations here are insane) but I don't know that I would want to homeschool if I wasn't able to take him for social opportunities. He has gym obviously but he's the type of kid who probably needs some "guided" opportunities for socialization. But I can imagine us making that choice down the road if it comes to it. If he continues on this path and homeschool gym was an option we would absolutely consider that but there's a lot of what ifs between now and when that could be possible.

We know a kid who is very elite. Seems to always be at the gym, plus tons of travel to meets, camps etc. And he only started homeschooling (online stuff) late in HS. And I think only part time.
We have many homeschoolers at our gym, including my family. Homeschooling certainly makes the schedule WAY easier. You actually see your kids. It is great. But homeschooling has to be the right fit. IMO one certainly can homeschool "only" for gymnastics, or for no reason at all- IF it is the right fit for your kid and family.

Also, it is not just gymnastics that sucks up the time. My oldest son has decided to stop homeschooling and go to regular HS. He starts next week. This is a very competitive, highly academic HS and I worried about the time thing, but then he decided to quit gymnastics to concentrate on other sports he can do in HS. So first up is X Country, a "no cut" sport. I figured, oh this will be a cakewalk.
But I just found out that during the school year, the required practices are 6 days a week, 2 hours a day! I almost fainted.

Also, it is not just gymnastics that sucks up the time. My oldest son has decided to stop homeschooling and go to regular HS. He starts next week. This is a very competitive, highly academic HS and I worried about the time thing, but then he decided to quit gymnastics to concentrate on other sports he can do in HS. So first up is X Country, a "no cut" sport. I figured, oh this will be a cakewalk.
But I just found out that during the school year, the required practices are 6 days a week, 2 hours a day! I almost fainted.

For X Country?????? [Head explodes!]

I homeschool my son, but not because of gymnastics. My dd does more hours and she goes to public school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back