WAG Home/score out meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mllea2

Proud Parent
Hi,
My daughter is 9 and her gym is hosting a in house meet at end of April for just her team to score out of level 4. I am just wondering if judges tend to score more generous for these types of meet. I have heard that they do, but ofcourse I am nervous for my daughter who still doesn't always have her straight arm kip and struggles with some firm on her tumbling. TIA!

We have done this on occasion at our gym - usually an “in-house meet” is done for the purpose of scoring out of a level and the judges tend to be a little more lenient. However, we have done it where we asked the judge NOT to be too easy, so it really depends on what the coaches communicate to the judges prior to the meet.

Perhaps they are, but do you really want them to be. The purpose of scoring out, is to ensure a gymnast is fully ready for the challenges of the next level. If they are not able to meet the minimum score out score, then it's probably not in the gymnasts best interest to skip the level.

So then you know what the issue is.........................

Perhaps they are, but do you really want them to be. The purpose of scoring out, is to ensure a gymnast is fully ready for the challenges of the next level. If they are not able to meet the minimum score out score, then it's probably not in the gymnasts best interest to skip the level.

And level 5 is MUCH more technically difficult than level 4... IMO.

My daughter goes to a very well respected gym and for their own reasons they want her team scoring out now. They will not be competing level 4 at all and I trust their opinion'that my daughter is ready to compete level 5 next season. My daughter will have another 7/8 months to work on the remainder of her level 5 skills. Being inconsistent with skills is different than not having them. I was just nervous for her as her mother. And to answer your question, Yes ofcourse I want my daughter to score well, doesn't every parent.....

Thanks all!

My daughter goes to a very well respected gym and for their own reasons they want her team scoring out now. They will not be competing level 4 at all and I trust their opinion'that my daughter is ready to compete level 5 next season. My daughter will have another 7/8 months to work on the remainder of her level 5 skills. Being inconsistent with skills is different than not having them. I was just nervous for her as her mother. And to answer your question, Yes ofcourse I want my daughter to score well, doesn't every parent.....

Thanks all!
My DD scored out of level 4 this year (in November) and had a very successful level 5 season. If she had needed to do it in April I would have been very nervous. I think at that time she was still muscling up a pretty ugly kip, her tap swings were super weak, she only made her squat on about 25% of the time and she had never vaulted on the actual table. It's amazing what a summer of training can do!

I'm sure if your coaches think your DD is ready she will be. Out of curiosity, why don't they do score outs a little later in the summer?

We have an in-house meet each year for our level 4s to score out of level 5 and move to level 6 and let's just say that not once have we had a girl NOT score out...

Thanks all!
It was not meant to be a critism of the desicions to score out, what I was trying to say is what will be will be. If she is ready she will get through.

Our gym doesn’t do score out meets. I’m sure it’s strictly about costs and time.
So the kids who score out do so first meet of the season. But I imagine the benefit to doing an in house meet. Is if the gymmie has a bad rotation, like a fall. They could go again. In house gives the ability of a quick do over.

I can’t imagine coaches would even have a gymmie plan to do a score out meet, be it in house or elsewhere if they weren’t confident that the gymmie would score out.

Can only speak to our gym. Having the kid score out is a well thought plan. The kids train as if it already has happened. The meet is just making it official. I dont believe we have ever had a kid not score out as planned.

But I imagine the benefit to doing an in house meet. Is if the gymmie has a bad rotation, like a fall. They could go again. In house gives the ability of a quick do over.
Actually, they should NOT be allowed a quick do over. An in house meet for scoring out is still supposed to be sanctioned and the judges (while maybe taking lower amounts on "up to" deductions) are supposed to treat it like any other meet.
The only way to legit have a do over would be to redo all events ... OR, if it was the first event, the girl could "scratch" the rest of the meet and re-enter the meet as a "new" gymnast.

Actually, they should NOT be allowed a quick do over. An in house meet for scoring out is still supposed to be sanctioned and the judges (while maybe taking lower amounts on "up to" deductions) are supposed to treat it like any other meet.
The only way to legit have a do over would be to redo all events ... OR, if it was the first event, the girl could "scratch" the rest of the meet and re-enter the meet as a "new" gymnast.
Oh I'm sure its technically not allowed. And I'm relatively sure it happens..........

Technically judging should be adjusted because its a score out meet either........... Oh well.

wink wink

It happens though, as does allowing “skills showing” and not full routines. There are so many things in gymnastics that I wouldn’t believe actually happen if I didn’t see them with my own two eyes. That doesn’t mean those things are normal or ok.. but the rules are broken at times.

I have not seen any do overs at our in house meets. They are sanctioned and it runs as a typical meet (albeit with generous scoring sometimes!).

My DD did a score out meet and her gym does one each year. I have never heard of a "do over" being offered.

One thing to keep in mind for an argument for more minimal deductions at a score out meet... These girls have typically NOT spent the time perfecting the routines that they would normally do if it is their level for a season. When my DD did her score out of L5 she spent 1 week learning the routines. I know that it is similar to L4; but she scored out in the spring a year after her last L4 meet (did L4 fall, then trained to prepare for spring season, then scored out). I'm sure that the had some text errors; but she had all of the skills just fine.

Really I don't care either way because usually with a score out meet the kids are more then prepared to move on. Its really a matter of dotting the i-s and crossint the t-s.

But for those who say they have never seen a do over. Have you ever seen a gymmie have a bad day?

Multiple falls on beam and/or bar. The kind of meet where they are just having a bad day, and can't shake it off? Not typical, not because of weak skills. Just a bad day that might mean not meeting the score out number That would be more the circumstance I was thinking of, go collect yourself, comeback. do it again and move on.

I don't imagine any one would have a do over for a few tenths on an event that doesn't matter beyond getting it done to move on.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back