MAG Home Training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
What kinds of things are your boys doing for home training? This is such a strange time.

D is doing zoom with his team 3 times a week. He works out 2 times a day. Once in the morning, mostly stretching and therapy, and then longer, more intense in the afternoon.

Me...I need to get off my bottom and do some working out ;)

DD has two zoom workouts a week with her team. Now that school is back in session I'm not going to push for more than that. And she does more on her own when I don't push. I signed up for a Couch to Crossfit home workout with a local gym. Kicking my sedentary butt but I love it. I did CF back about 5 years ago and have missed it.

DS is doing 2 live sessions a week, circuits with me and DD then he goes out on his mountain bike almost every day so after a week of literally nothing he is reasonably active.

DD refuses to join in her one live session due to anxiety but is doing circuits and the challenge exercises set by her coach. I manage to drag her out for a cycle or walk most days and yesterday I walked while she skated for half an hour.

My fitness has improved for definite, not driving 1.5 hours for work and 2 hours for DD training per day (plus having to stay due to distance) means I have a lot more time to do it!

So our boys team has zoom practices 1 hour 3 times a week. However the boys are allowed to join however many zoom practices they want. So my son does an additional one hour parkour class 2 times a week. I've actually see some of the boys join the girls team practice, put themselves on mute and not share their screen. (our gym owner has put together a zoom parents pilates class 3 times a week so even I can join and get my butt kicked by one of their recreational coaches).

We have Beachbody on demand at home and so my son will do another 1 or two workouts from there with my husband (the work which is by a former NBA trainer or P90X3) along with mushroom circles, handstand work, leg ups etc.

Its kinds of crazy all these years we avoided buying a mushroom (our coach told us not to) so now that he's level 7 (and now using a proper pommel horse .. without the pommels... whats that called a horse?) we ended up buying him a mushroom so he can do circles as part of his at home conditioning.

There is a general (gym-wide) Zoom cardio workout most nights, and a level specific Zoom workout with some focus on event skills 2x a week.

My son's Coach is sending 1.5 hour workouts with videos 5 days a week and 1 Zoom team meeting a week. DS has also been doing the workouts on Zoom with a teammate. We gave in to our kids and bought a Trampoline for the backyard. All my kids will enjoy it and DS can get some training done on it. I'm lucky as he's stayed active.. lots of hikes, bike rides and walks during this unfortunate down time.

My son is too busy getting a PhD in fortnite to bother working out at home

His coach sent out a conditioning program but he hasn’t actually done any of it. He will do chin ups and play on the trampoline, but that’s it for now. Bought him a pommel trainer thing (called the colt) because we had just told the mushroom before all this happened, and it’s collecting dust for now. Cost me a small fortune too.

My boys are doing workouts with the other MAG athletes from their gym via zoom. Three 40 min workouts a week. Plus next week there is a 1 h workout for pommel for the kids with a mushroom at home. And another 1 h workout for those with a chin up bar at home.

Other than that, they do stretching (I join in with that). But mostly, they have faces firmly planted in front of a screen (Ipad, computer, TV, switch, etc etc). Ugh

Are the boys still doing well?

D is still doing workouts 2 times a day. Stretching in the morning, and zoom int he afternoon. HE adds more to the zoom for about an hour to 90 minutes. Wish he would do more cardio, but I can't suggest anything lol.

My guy remains very motivated, but he's only 10 and the group Zoom workouts are his primary social outlet right now. He did get very anxious this morning about the thought of repeating his level, but I'm trying to focus on just getting back without worrying about levels.

That is stressful for sure! But remind him it doesn't matter what level he is at as long as he is making progress....

That is stressful for sure! But remind him it doesn't matter what level he is at as long as he is making progress....
I know, but he's done very well with l4 division 1 the first time and repeated with great success this year. Cannot imagine a 3rd year at the same level...

I know, but he's done very well with l4 division 1 the first time and repeated with great success this year. Cannot imagine a 3rd year at the same level...

OK. I agree. 3 years at L4 would be tough...I will be with him in hoping for a move to L5!

Mine are doing 2X a week zoom workouts with their coach and 1X a New York State boys gymnastics zoom workout (that one is split, one for the lower levels one for the upper). The NY one is fun because they get to see the boys they know from across the state who they would have seen at state meet, regionals, etc.

Aside from that, not a ton. 10-year old is working on his front tumbling on the air track - he had a zoom lesson with his coach on that. But it's tough to keep their motivation up otherwise. And he does a workout on non-zoom days but not with as much enthusiasm as he did in early April. He wants to repeat level 7 anyway, so I think that is reducing his stress about losing this time, but I also think he is depressed and that is killing his motivation to do anything. The other three are just not as serious about it so they mostly just do the three zoom workouts a week. My youngest is probably heading for his third year of level 4 but he doesn't mind - he just sort of floats along

J is doing 2x a week zoom training but also lifting with dad/brother most days. It’s! been nice to have the time for him to workout- usually he’s too busy. Motivation is meh but I’m ok with it for now- lots of school work & AP testing going on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back