Homeschooling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancing9118000

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has heard or tried partial homeschooling in which the student can either go to a public or private school certain days a week and homeschool the other days or take certain courses daily at a school and homeschool the rest. My problem is that I do gymnastics five days a week for 3.5 hours per day which takes much time from my studies and I am taking the hardest classes my high school offers, oh yea, I'm in 10th grade, and I am very bored in school. All my classes do is give large amounts of homework on topics that I already know so the homework is a waste of time for me. I also am not sure if it is legal in NY to do a partial homeschooling. Any hints or information would be great!! Thanks.

I am not familiar with NY, but I would have your parents talk to the principal to see if this is possible in your area.

First I would say talk to your principal. The school requirements change from state to state. But yes. my daughter does just what you are asking about. She goes to public school but leaves early on Tuesday & Thursday for practice.

It takes lots of communication and hard work on DD's part. She gets good grades and has high test scores. My Husband and I made it clear to the Principal and counselors that School comes first. If her grades start to slip - she is done with day practice and back to school full time. She was on the A honor roll all year last year.. so she gets another year of part days.

The school worked with her schedule and all her core classes are in the morning. She misses Band and Geography on Tuesday and Thursday. They took her Phy Ed Class out of the schedule (Since she gets enough phy ed in her life) and she does independent study for Health.

In my state she can only do this type of arrangement until High school. Once she hits HS attendance is part of a graduation requirement. We will be back to full school days in a couple years.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Univeristy Model schools

You might googling University Model Schools. These schools run like a college and only meet two-three days per week. These are private schools but are genarlly less expensive than full-time private schools. In my area there are several of these schools but I don't know about in New York. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back