Homework advice when training 25 hours a week?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you manage 25+ hours a week in the gym and school work? We are going crazy with trying to manage both. Any advice....?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard. I have to work really hard to get all of my school work done in school or sometimes in the morning. My job is only on weekends though, so I just have to hussle back from the gym once a week to get to work on time.

How far do you have to commute to each? Are you in HS or College?

How do you manage 25+ hours a week in the gym and school work? We are going crazy with trying to manage both. Any advice....?

Are you the parent of a child in the gym 25 hours a week, or are you in the gym 25 hours a week? The answer may be different depending.

I have girls in the gym just 9 hours a week, 9 & 12, and with a school day that begins at 7:50am on the bus for and hour and ends at 5pm after another hour on the bus. Fitting gym, homework and family dinners in is a challenge. I know for sure we could never do 25 hours a week in the gym, just not enough hours in the day.

Homeschooling or perhaps doing some gym hours during the day, skipping a day of school a week might help. But education is so important it needs to be taken care of before gym.

I used to do gym and after quitting, I find I do worse in school then I do behind [which still isn't bad, being in honors and all that stuff, I just mean procrasinating haha]. With gym I knew how to prioritize my time, and didn't have extra time to slack off and chill. I usually got home, went to gym, came back ate/iced then did my homework, shower bed. On weekends I'd do all my homework and do projects and everything else ahead of time. If I got a project, I usually was finished 2 works before it was actually due. People thought I was crazy, but it helped and I didn't have time to procrasinate and do things last minute.

Are you the parent of a child in the gym 25 hours a week, or are you in the gym 25 hours a week? The answer may be different depending.

I have girls in the gym just 9 hours a week, 9 & 12, and with a school day that begins at 7:50am on the bus for and hour and ends at 5pm after another hour on the bus. Fitting gym, homework and family dinners in is a challenge. I know for sure we could never do 25 hours a week in the gym, just not enough hours in the day.

Homeschooling or perhaps doing some gym hours during the day, skipping a day of school a week might help. But education is so important it needs to be taken care of before gym.

I am a parent and it is my daughter. She is a level 7 soon to be level 8. She is 10. And it is very hard but she loves the gym, so we keep doing it. Her coach is VERY supportive but her teacher isn't. We have been doing 15-25 hours for several years now, so we are use to it. But the homework is growing as she gets older. I just would like to know how you do it? Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
I did gymnastics 16 hours/week and violin/orchestra for another 6ish hours/week, so I guess that's close enough for me to help. I averaged about 4 hours of homework per night in high school, and with mandatory before or after school study sessions for either constitutional law competitions or AP exams, there definitely wasn't any extra time for procrastinating. The key for me was learning how to do homework in small chunks-- at lunch, during our mandatory study hall, while sitting in splits at the gym, etc. I even lugged my violin to the gym and serenaded everyone during snack break before important orchestra events. If I could do one calc problem per pre-split stretch and then two while in splits (per leg), that ended up being 1/3 of my math homework. I also read while sitting in splits (answering questions about what I was reading was always fun, especially when we did The Inferno and The Decameron...). Also, my best friends were also involved in a lot of activities, so we would have a lot of study groups that met around 9 and finished between midnight and 1. My life was one of sleep deprivation, but everything worked out really well in the end. The only way I made it through high school was by learning how to break assignments into small chunks and to always stay on top of the work.

However, it was probably easier for me to balance school and gymnastics because I absolutely knew what my priority was: gymnastics was not going to get me into college; academics was. I was not in a position to compete NCAA, except maybe as a walk-on at the very weakest D1 schools, and my coaches were also realistic and let me miss the occasional practice or sit out a strong event if I had too much homework.

This question is so common among gymnast and other athletes.

I remember being that nine/ten year old level 7/8 trying to go to school and gymnastics while keeping up with homework and sleep. I don't remember it being too hard until I started middle school and the hours increased in the gym and the homework did too.

My advice is to have a meeting with her teacher and explain the situation. Let her know how important school is to both of you and then go on to explain how important gymnastics is to her as well. That way she doesn't think you or your daughter is putting gymnastics first. If this teacher isn't willing to work with you both, then she may need to try to get through this year the best she can.

When the school year starts next year you could have a meeting with that teacher and see if there is a way she could get work a little ahead of time so she can space it out according to her schedule during the week. That way she may have an hour or less of homework each night during the weekdays and do more work on the weekends.

The extra hours in the gym and the extra homework add up but it is usually okay if you can balance it out. I was in public school up until 7th grade and then finally convinced my parents to try the homeschool route for a year or two. This allowed time for me to play outside and spend more time with my family, while doing other things I loved and not having the extra homework. My parents put me back in public school my freshmen and I've definently learned how to budget my time since then.

It takes a lot of effort to balance everything out, but if she loves the sport and is having fun than it is worth it.

There are few things you can look at.

First of all write up a timetable of all the hours in the gym, hours, travelling, sleep time and everything in your week. Have a look and see what times are not being used. You could make better use of mornings for example, or any day you start gym later or finish earlier.

Next step is to see what times could be used better. If there is a long car ride too and from training its a great time for studies. So is a car, bus or train ride to school. Are there times where she goes straight to to the gym fromm school and are sitting waiting for class to start. All these times can be used.

I'd have a talk to the school. Doing that many hourse of gym they can often get credit for subjects like PE and not have to do them. Many schools are also flexible with the timetable for high level athletes. Some less important subjects can be dropped and the spare periods can be used for study.

Homeowrk needs to be prioritised, when its time to do work. Write a list for most urgent to least urgent. most urgent many be finishing an assignment that is due tomorrow for example.

Remember that making better use of classtime can cut down on homework time. Working hard in class means less work to finish at home, andpaying close attention to what the teachers are saying means less time has to be spent revising and studying.

Gym is also excellent for school work. The activities done in the gym help the brain to function better in particular in area's of focus and memory. Therefore it should help with school anyway.

It's also important to be realistic with career goals. What is important in life. I assume that if you are training 25 hours a week then you are quite a high level gymnast. You may have a shot at a gymnastics scholarship, you may even be training towards the goal of elite in which case competing for your country is an option. Or you may be considering a career in gymnastics such as coaching or professional performing. If this is the case then gymnastics is more of a priority than always completing the homework. Some people will read this and say "no, no no school is a priority". But I disagree. I am a gymnastics coach, I make a living out of gymnastics and if you want to do the same then it is a priority.

If perhaps you are just a very talented gymnast but want to go on to an academic career then school will be more of a priority it really depends on your own life plans.

I am a parent and it is my daughter. She is a level 7 soon to be level 8. She is 10. And it is very hard but she loves the gym, so we keep doing it. Her coach is VERY supportive but her teacher isn't. We have been doing 15-25 hours for several years now, so we are use to it. But the homework is growing as she gets older. I just would like to know how you do it? Any advice would be great.

Although my 10 yr old daughter is still a level 4 (will be Level A (Level 5) next year) and is in the gym only 11 hours a week, she does do other activities such as ballet, band and track that take up her time. I do know what you mean about the school work increasing. Although my dd is very responsible and attentive to her school work, I still need to stay on top of her homework and assignments.

We try to do some homework ahead of time (spelling assignments are given out at the beginning of the week so she can do 2 or 3 assignments in one night if she wants to). Any special projects or book reports we try to stay on top of and really plan out the timeline of the work. The key is finding time in the mornings before school to get some homework done and right after school BEFORE they start lounging around watching TV LOL. We also try to do homework in the car and bring the homework with us when we know we will be in the car for a while when driving anywhere.

Since she is still young, I think it is important to teach her good time management skills NOW, before she gets to middle and high school. I hope I helped!!! Good luck!!

I usually got home, went to gym, came back ate/iced then did my homework, shower bed. On weekends I'd do all my homework and do projects and everything else ahead of time. If I got a project, I usually was finished 2 works before it was actually due. People thought I was crazy, but it helped and I didn't have time to procrasinate and do things last minute.

Yes, this describes how I do my homework exactly!! :cool:

I don't spend anywhere near 20 hrs a week, (only 9) but i feel your pain. I have a half hour ride to the nearest town (school, grocery store, fast food, or anything), and a forty five minute ride to gym. i do a ton of my homework during school. I am very talented in multitasking. I can listen to the teacher and do my homework at the same time. I almost always get all my homework done in school. If not, i do it in the car. Encourage her to do as much homework in school as she can. I use EVERY spare moment i have to work on my homework in school. and it works well.

A huge option is homeschooling maybe next year? It does get very hard. If you do homeschool then try to keep a social life by going to church every week.:)

It is very hard, and some can't do it. My dd is ADD and 20 hours a week in the gym was too much for her. She couldn't possibly get her homework done and function properly the next day at school and practice. She was able to negotiate this with her coach and knock it down to 16 hrs, which was still a struggle. Her teacher did not want to give her any breaks. In 8th and 9th grades, students feel this pressure much moreso than the 10 year olds on here that are able to work it out. Not only that, but they have to be at school earlier and practice is usually immediately after school. So now she is a high school gymnast at 10 hours a week which helps. BUT, as some have mentioned, she doesn't budget her time nearly as well as she did as a full time gymnast. So, this situation is not as ideal as we thought it would be. There is a fine line betweeen "enough" homework time, "not enough" homework time, and "too much" homework time. Each gymnast needs to learn what works best for her and try to negotiate among coaches and teachers. Sounds funny- but in gymnastics nothing is normal.

It is very hard for them to get in the time for gym, time for homework and some down time to just be a kid. My gymmie is 12 and L8. She is in middle school and her school has no study hall type option. Even if they let her skip PE(looking into that) for next year, she will be put in another elective. She has had a couple of teachers that have been understanding about not being able to do all of her homework while traveling out of state for a meet(book report/project). Fortunately this is my ultra organized kid. She works ahead on any assignment she knows about----especially the projects, essays etc. She has to go straight from school to gym, so homework is done after a quick dinner. If she tells me she is just swamped with homework when I pick her up at school, then we pull her out of practice early. That hasn't been an issue so much this year.

I know this is one reason you see the exodus of girls once they're in 9th or 10th grade. Our high schools start at 7:15 and while they may get home and have 30 minutes or so to do some homework before practice there is still alot left to be done when they get home and on weekends. Right now we have 2 9th graders and 1 10th grader looking at not moving up and doing hs gym next year----they have reached the max they can handle and keep the grades up.

I had the same problem when I was in high school. This is what I would do...

Get out of school around 1:30, come home, and relax for about 30 minutes. Start of some homework. Practice started around 4ish, so I'd do about an hour worth of work. Then go workout. Come home and study for anything I needed to. I would do a lot of my homework at school in my classes that weren't as demanding, or at lunch. So the amount I had left to finish by the end of the day was very little.

Once you find your routine, it'll become a habit for ya.

I will be watching this thread very closely and am looking for that same answer!!! My DD will be in 9th grade (high school) next year. Her school day will end at 3:50 and gym starts at 5:00 M, T, Th, F, and S. Not sure how she will be able to manage it. School definitely comes first. She will NOT be an olympiad nor even get to L9 or 10.... so it's not like we're in this for the long haul.... more to keep her busy and active....

Although my dd is very responsible and attentive to her school work, I still need to stay on top of her homework and assignments.

Since she is still young, I think it is important to teach her good time management skills NOW, before she gets to middle and high school. I hope I helped!!! Good luck!!

HA HA HA!! My DD is 14 and I STILL have to stay on top of her homework and assignments!!!! WHEN will she learn that time management that I try to hard to instill in her?!?!?

I'm sorry, MDGymMom01... I just reread my last post and it sounds like I'm making fun of you... I'm really didn't mean to sound that way!!! I was just laughing at my OWN daughter!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back