MAG Honey/Corn Syrup/Other

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, what do your boys use on pbars?? What do you prefer as a coach?

They add chalk to it to thicken it. I gather there is some art involved in doing it exactly right. Just avoid the dark kind!

OK. he stuck with honey for now. Knows it works. Spray bottle? does he wet his grips? None of the guys at our gym do that but the girls do.

Side questions: how often do your boys go through grips?

And what does tha tdo?

(remember, D has no older gymnasts around to help him learn this stuff. So he is figuring all of this out by watching)

I have no idea : ) I just know at one meet this year he forgot it and I luckily found a nearby Dollar Store to grab one.

Pbars seems to be very particular...I'm always amazed when you look at the chalk bucket by pbars the bottles of honey, water bottles, towels to wipe the bars etc. laying around!

Some people prefer the bars to be rougher, and some prefer cleaner/smoother. Water and sanding will remove built up chalk and smooth the surface. Honey and chalk will build it up again. In competition, gymnasts are allowed a maximum of 30 sec to prepare the bars. I got in a near fight with a well-known coach this weekend who jumped in front of my gymnast to mess with the bars. (we had a few words after the rotation :)) My kids are allowed to either, wipe the bar once with a wet towel, or use a dab of honey on the palm, after that it's on to the routine. Many gymnasts get in this sanding and honey routine because the guy in front of them did, or their older teammates. Any coach or gymnast the believes honey will keep them on the bar does not understand physics. The tactile qualities of honey will have no effect on a 120lb+ boy bailing for a giant.

But . . . but . . . but . . . it's magic! And giants simply CANNOT be done without the magic substance! (Says the mother whose son very nearly flipped his lid at regionals because she accidentally took what looked like a really nasty plastic bag of overused karo out of his meet bag, not realizing it was THE COACH'S SPECIAL BLEND. Thank goodness it was in the car and not the garbage, and the car wasn't far away . . .)

But . . . but . . . but . . . it's magic! And giants simply CANNOT be done without the magic substance! (Says the mother whose son very nearly flipped his lid at regionals because she accidentally took what looked like a really nasty plastic bag of overused karo out of his meet bag, not realizing it was THE COACH'S SPECIAL BLEND. Thank goodness it was in the car and not the garbage, and the car wasn't far away . . .)
Can I "super-like" this post!!!!

Any magic that helps my son think he can stay on the pbars will be great....can your coach share his blend?? LOL

Well, he is wearing a wizard hat...
d2e3102b33b6bb5e840d719d8ac10c60.jpg

Currently I don't think any of the boys on our team use honey or karo. I have not even seen the girls use anything besides water on their grips. Am I missing something here?

Can I just say that my super allergic boy is lucky not to be allergic to either honey or corn syrup? We dodged a bullet there, considering he is allergic to nearly everything else!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back