Parents Hopes and Dreams for 2013

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jaks

Proud Parent
Coming of the back of the successful thread about children's accomplishments of 2012 I thought I would try another one for the upcoming year.

What are your's or your children's gymnastic goals for 2013?

For my tiny 6 year old I would like:

her to be happy in the gym with no mishaps.
get invited to a development class for either Gymnastics or Cheerleading (probably not much hope at either even though I have been told she is good at gym by a couple of youngish coaches)
Finish her proficiency awards ( 2 to go)
Improve her strength
Improve her flexibility.
Come out of her shell a bit more (she is shy in the gym, even one of her coaches has told me this )
Perhaps getting her bridge kick over on the floor
Perhaps getting a standing back bend
Improving her Cartwheel by kicking higher and landing correctly instead of slightly twisted

She wants.....
1. Improved flexibility.
2. Score out of L6 before the season ends.
3. Flyaway without a spot.
4. Consistent BHS on beam.

My goals for her are:
1. improved artistry
2. more maturity
3. acceptance by her peers (she is the "annoying brat" to several of them)
4. not to internalize criticism so much

Right now, dd is focused on the upcoming season but she has mentioned several that she is looking forward to training in the spring:

Full bt dismount on beam (or is it a full lo. I'm not sure)
Pirourette and overshoot on bars
Toe ins (or I think that's what they are called)
Double back dismount on bars (doing it in the pit right now)
Bhs/bhs on beam (ok - she is not excited about this but she knows she needs it)
Front layout on floor. She's working it on tumble track and rod.

I'd like my dd to reach an easy decision over which sport she wants to focus on. There are not enough days in the week to train both to the level she's capable of, so she will need to decide, probably next year, if she wants to reduce her gymnastics hours or her other sport. At the moment she's torn, so I hope it becomes clear to her in some way, it's going to be a hard one for an 8 year old...

dd2 I'd like to be invited to pre team at some point.

My hopes:
She continues to enjoy the sport as much as she does now.
She meets the goals that she sets for herself.
She continues to progress in the uptraining that she is doing.
She finishes strong in her last two meets at level 5 (Jan and Feb).

Her hopes:
Getting more consistent with her new tumbling skills (front tuck, back tuck, FHS, FSO)-this sometimes takes a while
Getting more consistent in getting that full turn on beam
Improving casts on bars, working more on flyaways and hoping to finally start working on giants
Continuing improvement on vault-wants to block better than she has been doing

For DD (9) step 5:

consistent kip
consistent stoop-on
tic-toc-flic on floor
improved split leaps on floor
good handstand-handstand split on beam
decent split jump on beam
cartwheel on beam
step 5 vault (handspring flatback over table)

more confidence and being less hard on herself
better flexibility
no injuries!

My hopes for dd are:
to continue enjoying herself as much as she does right now.
to improve each meet

Her hopes:
Giants
Front handsrping front tuck
NO MORE STRADDLE JUMP. Yes, I yelled since that was her response She hates that jump.

I love these threads!!My DD is 5 1/2 so she probably doesn't quite get the whole "goal" thing, but MY goals for her would be:Standing up from backbendMaybe a handstand forward rollWould it be too soon to learn a round off?& of course flexibility (definitely)I also hopes she makes friends with some of the girls & maybe get to want to do playdates or invite over to play. Bc right now she only plays w/ neighbours or a few friends from school.

I would like my 14 yr old to start enjoying gymnastics again more and stop stressing herself out. It would be nice for her to have a successful first year at level 10 too :). And making her geinger would be awesome. (she had it, then hit her foot on the bar and broke her foot (mild break) and now can't get it back.

My kiddo is 6, turning 7 in February and on developmental. My goals for her are to grow her joy in gymnastics, make it to the next level by the fall, learn a few new tricks, continue to get along well with her friends, and communicate her needs to the coaches better.

I just want my dd to be happy! (Level 9 15 year old) and so far she is. She is really struggling on all events, but she is able to see small improvements at each meet. She completely gets it is not about the score and I hope that continues all season. She is winning a lot of battles over fear. (release on bars, connection on beam etc.) she is doing them, but needs a lot of repetition.

Happy New Year!!

I just want my dd to be happy! (Level 9 15 year old) and so far she is. She is really struggling on all events, but she is able to see small improvements at each meet. She completely gets it is not about the score and I hope that continues all season. She is winning a lot of battles over fear. (release on bars, connection on beam etc.) she is doing them, but needs a lot of repetition.

Happy New Year!!

This for both of mine, plus a year of no injuries!

I want a FHC from my lil one.. it's only thing she needs for L4 when she turns 6.. and she wants a round off back layout (which she does beautifully on the tumble track).. oh, and i want more consistant coaching.. our gym has MANY coaches, so many that kids and parents don't even know all their names.. i think they don't bother telling us since next week it'll be someone different! i will say that 90% are good at what they do, just hate that there are so many.. try doing coaches gifts with 7 or 8 diff coaches :( not fun.

What would make this a perfect year for DD is if:

- it got easier for her to straighten her legs and keep a hollow form
- she could conquer beam
- she could get her vault cleaned up
- she could start working on an optional routine, even if she can't actually compete it until 2014

Since this is a gymnastics site, I wish for my gymnast daughter to be in a gym and with a coach that can help her be the best gymnast she can be and for her to reach all her dreams and aspirations (my daughter is a little on the tight lip kind. So, I am not sure what her dreams are). For the rest of my kids and family, what every mom wants, that they remain happy, continue to succeed in their respective sports, continue to excel in school, have a bountiful of good, loving friends and live and love life to its fullest. And for me, not to be overly anxious for them to get 'there', :-D

A cast handstand and giant on bars so my DD can confidently go to L7 would be my biggest wish... A state medal on floor and/or beam in L6 would be nice for her too :). Our states are in April and "move ups" happen in June...

Last edited:
My hopes for DD (10 year old level 8):
Since relocating to the new gym DD has developed a fear of flipping backward. This is going on her 2nd season and she's struggling a bit. My only hope for her is to once again find they joy in her sport that she used to have and not to be so concerned about winning. She absolutely hates not winning! I think she gets that from me. Have fun, it's a sport, it's supposed to be fun, not work.

My hopes for my 9yo dd, L7 this year are: competing optionals with no injuries. I also don't want to get snowed in and stuck in Denver when we go to Winterfest. (Did I say how much I hate the cold? and who voluntarily goes to Denver in February? I mean, really!) I also would like for her to have more confidence in herself on beam. I think she's amazing! :D

My dd's hopes for this year: make it to national TOPs testing. Move to new L8 in March after states. And to stick her BHS BWO in her beam routine during competitions.

My 6-year-old's goals:

To move up to the next level of preteam so she gets to stay longer at practice.
To climb the rope all the way to the ceiling (she is physically capable but gets scared about 3/4 of the way up).

My goals for her:

The confidence to climb that darned rope.
Not to break anything.

My goals as a gym mom:

Not to stress out about gymnastics.
To ignore the crazy preteam moms.

My 5 year old's goals:
front hip circle
front handspring
connecting RO w/BHS
Try to get a 1st place in ANY event :) <We haven't done any competitions yet>

My goals for her:
Being happy with her own performance
No injuries