Parents Horaay for Communication

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
So I am on another thread that is examining the positives and negatives in the parent/Gym communication paradigm. I have not always been a fan of my Gyms communication BUT now I have a wonderful story to tell--in part thanks to reading on here:

There have been a lot of changes at my gym over the past year I think they are restructuring their program. We just got the summer schedule and I will say it wasn't what I thought it would be. I wanted to write the coach--who I am also friends with cause her daughter is on team with mine. I wanted to talk to her as a "coach" and not as a "friend" and I didn't want to come across as some crazy mom. So I took my time and crafted an email to send her (instead of texting or something more informal). I changed a lot of my questions from being more accusatory (Why isn't my daughter doing X Y and Z) to I know things are changing and I want to understand the structure and progression. I sent a pretty lengthy email and she responded with a lot of great detail around what they are doing with the program and how my daughter fits into it. Needless to say I am much more comfortable with what is happening now than I was a few days ago when I was feeling like my daughter was being "left behind".

So thank you CB--I think without this forum I would have been a part of the "problem" and not really gotten the information I needed about my kid. Also--super excited about the things they are doing with the program--it sort of stinks to be caught up in transition but at least we will be on the upswing not on the down swing. We just had a lot of gymnasts leave and I think they are really addressing some of the issues that caused that.

That's awesome! I think sometimes, just taking a moment to examine the wording of a question, like you did, can make all the difference. And if it makes you feel better, we went through a gym restructure too. Although it sort of sucked to be caught up in the transition, for those of us who stuck it out and didn't bail because we didn't like it, our girls are now flourishing. It really was all for the best and patience really paid off.

That's awesome! I think sometimes, just taking a moment to examine the wording of a question, like you did, can make all the difference. And if it makes you feel better, we went through a gym restructure too. Although it sort of sucked to be caught up in the transition, for those of us who stuck it out and didn't bail because we didn't like it, our girls are now flourishing. It really was all for the best and patience really paid off.

That makes me feel a lot better--I have to remind myself sometimes that change doesn't have to be scary lol. From what I understand the Head Coaches will be taking a more hands on approach with all levels, right now they are primarily with the upper level optionals. I think the kids getting exposed their coaching early on will be really great for them, and give the HCs the opportunity to see these kids develop.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back