Parents Hours in the gym-Level 5's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am wondering what is the average hours level 5's should workout. Our level 5's workout 14 hours during the season and 20 during the summer. Just trying to get a feel for what is normal. Our level 4's now workout 9, so it is a big just for our new 5's.

Thanks,
Imat3

uh oh not the hours issue - very touch subject LOL....

no seriouly it varies from gym to gym.... I know many gyms that train their L5's 9 hours and are highly successful at L5 and I also know gyms that train all the way up to 27 hours & are also very successful.

here is a previous thread that may help answer your question...

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121

Thanks for the link.
I had no idea there was so much debate about this. Now I know...
Thanks again,
Imat3

We have the level 3's at 9 hours a week, level 4's are at 14 hours a week and level 5's work 16 hours a week.

Level 5s at our gym work out 9 hours/wk. 4s work out 6. 6s work out 10. Optionals work out 16.

Here's just some random stuff I've observed with regard to hours of practice:

One of our team girls moved because her family wanted her to become an elite. She now trains at GAGE (The Dragons). She's been on a modified school day since some time during optionals so she'd have more time to train. She does quite well (as I'm sure all GAGE's upper level gymnasts do).

Was chatting with a WOGA mom during a level 7 session this year (ironically at the Dragon Invite). She told me WOGA's level 7s train 18 hours a week. These girls were scoring 9.7s on bars and had 38+ in AA.

Our gym's optionals train 16 hours a week. Three team girls competed regionals last year (2 8s and a 9). Two came home with 1st place AA. Obviously, we hold our own.

Even 16 hours a week is hard on a growing body. My oldest dd will tell me when there's a big change in the weather coming because her knees "kill." Great. I've got a 14 yo who can hold her own with the old folks predicting the weather changes by their aches and pains.

But maybe not. My little dd, also an optional at 16 hours a week, has never been injured or suffered any aches or pains.

How much should a level 5 work out? How much are you comfortable with? That's the only right answer.

My DD goes Monday. Tuesday. Wednesday. Friday & Saturday, for four hours each practice. That is the level 5 schedule. She is now training level 6, but the hours change after school is out. We are still not sure what they will be yet.

IMHO, quantity does not necessarily equal quality. Dd's level 5 team only does 9.75 hours a week and won states. They regularly beat teams that practice significantly greater hours.

I agree that the quality of the time in the gym is more important than the hours. There seems to be a really wide range. It is interesting to see what everyone thinks.
Thanks,
Imat 3

Our Level 5s train 16 hours per week with the option of an additional hour of strength training if they want.

Meg

My gymmie did 10.5 hours/week as a L5 and their team took 2nd in states that year. Last year of pre-team(no L4) was 9 hours, so adding the extra 90 minutes per week was not a big shock for them.

Our current gym does 12 hours/week for the L5s and they are quite successful also.

I think quality definitely trumps quantity. My dd did 16 hours as a level 5 and did terrible. We switched gyms and she did 12-15 hours as a level 6 and did much better. I will say though - over the summer when they are off of school they jump up to about 20-22 hours per week :eek:

Our level 5 team just got up'd to 16 hrs/week, but they all moved up from L4 (we didn't have a L5 team) and had to learn the new routines right after 4 states & needed the extra time. Some of that time is spent doing TOPS & conditioning as well.

Our gym offers level 5's 3 days a week. They can work out 4 days if they would like. It is nice when they have something they need extra work on before a meet so they can get that extra practice time. We had several members quit team last year because of the time comitment, they wanted to do other activities and had no time too. They got burned out.

On the low end, the gyms in my area tend to do 3 days for 3 hours. I rarely see them do more than 12 hours ( 3x4, or 4x3 ). However, I do see some girls come in for extra conditioning or open gym or partake in the tramp and tumbling programs to get more hours in.

In summer, I've never heard of 5's doing 15, though I suppose they could if the parents, child, and coaches saw to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back