Parents hours of practice not a concern

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was happy to hear today when my daughter went to the doctor for her yearly checkup that the amount of hours she will be practicing this year is not excessive or a cause for concern. My daughter is 8 and will practice 4 days a week for about 13 hours plus meets. When I talk to friends and co-workers I always get negative comments that it is too many hours so I was surprised when the doctor thought it was great that she was getting so much exercise. When I asked if it was too hard on her body she said absolutely no, the only thing she was concerned about was getting her school work done. My daughter who is going into 3rd grade is very good about doing her homework and last year even got an outstanding achievement award. She also has to keep up her grades or she could get kicked off the team. It is also refreshing that the doctor was very postive and did not mention any negative comments about the sport that alot of people seem to have.:)

Sounds like her physical checked out great.Alot of the people I talk too have the same negative reaction.My daughter trains 18 hrs a week and sometimes more.It is not like our kids started out going to the gym that many hrs.They start out slow and build up the hrs.
I think it is good that she has to keep her grades up to stay on the team.It might also be more of a motivation comming from somebody else then their own parents.
Our daughter also knows she has to keep up her grades.No problems so far.

My DD's doctor also thought it was great that she was getting so much excersize. She even said - guess there is no need to check her balance !!!

DD is also entering 3rd grade - first year of letter grades - last year was all S's, and 3's which basically means on grade level and doing fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back