How are hands placed on backhandsprings on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

slkbeambabe07

We have had many opinions on this in the gym--- how do you, as a gymnast or coach, have your gymnasts place their hands on their back handsprings on beam? I'm not a fan of hands on top of each other, or just thumbs on the beam. Our head coach thinks if your LEFT foot is in front (and landing first), then your RIGHT hand should be in front to even it out. I disagree (as another coach in the gym) thinking it is best to do what feels natural-- LEFT foot in front (and landing first), then the LEFT hand should be in front, which is how I did my bhs, and had no problems with it. Thoughts? :confused:

Well, I TOTALLY disagree with the left foot / right hand thing. Try that on a BWO, makes it way easier to get off balance. It kinda makes your step out of the handstand sideways, like on a cartwheel.

My preference would be left foot / left hand in front.

:)

that video pn youtube.com is great- My coaches have always told me to put my good hand sort of side ways on the beam, so that my finghers are on one side of the beam and my thumb is on the other - (this helps to keep your hands from slipping off either side of the beam during the backhand spring)- them but you bad hand in the center of the beam, right in front of your good hand so the palm of your hand fits in between the space between your thumb and pointer finger on your good hand. Sorry if that sounded at little confusing! hope it helped

Check out this video it might help a bit. I find the placement they teach to be very effective and easy.

YouTube - Hand Positions for Back Handspring on Beam - Kellie Mizoguchi

I did see this, and she has her R hand, R foot. It's hard hearing it from both sides, there was an article in Technique stating that it goes L foot R hand, as well as at Lake Owen one year Kim Zmeskal was also teaching this way. I feel it's best to not go against what your body does naturally.

I (as in, personally when I do gymnastics) do right foot left hand and prefer this technique. As with many things, to some extent you do what works. but this is not a random or unknown technique. It has its merits. At this point I place my left hand first just as naturally as I could place my right. Either way most girls have to learn the hand placement. They can learn it. It could be argued that it's not necessary for squareness, but I don't think the argument that you're fighting your natural way is that compelling to me. I encourage this technique but don't make it my be all and end all of shaping the skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back