WAG How are region 5 "state teams" determined?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
As I was looking at information for regionals this year, I got lost in the site and came across the fact that each state in the region sets a state team. When I was looking at the girls who comprised our state team, I noticed that some very talented/higher scoring girls were not part of the state team while some lower scoring gymnasts were on the state team. But some girls who weren't on the state team still went to regionals and competed.

Can someone who understands how region 5 works explain how TPTB name the state team?

It's according to place at their state meet... And in previous years it was only for level 8. Since level 7 is having regionals this year, they may do it too now. If a gymnast makes the regional qualifying score but isn't in the top 7 (I think) in that age group, they qualify as an All Star instead of a team member... If someone falls at state but hits regionals they might win without being a state team member

It's according to place at their state meet... And in previous years it was only for level 8. Since level 7 is having regionals this year, they may do it too now. If a gymnast makes the regional qualifying score but isn't in the top 7 (I think) in that age group, they qualify as an All Star instead of a team member... If someone falls at state but hits regionals they might win without being a state team member

So age groups come into play? Are these regional age groups or state age groups?

We are not 5, but Regional is typically the top placements (not by age but by score), then a percentage for the All Star Team. That is Region 6

Reactions: sce
Also DDs gym only goes to level 9/10regionals and the 7-8 girls know this from the start.

I wonder how many gyms will go to L7 regionals. I know DD's old gym is not since region 5 isn't subsidizing it. Not sure about new gym.

Reactions: sce
I could be wrong but is MAG nationals during 7 or 8 regionals as well? DDs gym does have contenders for level 10 Women's nationals so that is why they are nit going as it is a small gym. Also there is also an amazing level 10 boy who is the woman's HC son.

I wonder how many gyms will go to L7 regionals. I know DD's old gym is not since region 5 isn't subsidizing it. Not sure about new gym.

Subsidizing it? Is this common for regions to help out financially? I don't think either or our regions do that.

Someone was saying that the region would be providing leotards for 8 and up but the 7s have to pay out of pocket. That's all I meant.

DD's gym is not going to L7 regionals due to the timing of it being the same time as Nationals.

I don't know about level 7 since it is the first year for that and DD is an L8. I believe that the expectation is that you wear the Leo since they give it to the girls. Not sure how that would work for L7.

For our gym, Level 8 wears the regional leo during competition. For L9 and 10, the girls always wear their regular competition leo. My understanding is the reasoning is that they are more visible to recruiters that way. We've seen teams doing both at both levels.

Sorry I don't know if the L7 leos will be provided, but my guess is that they would be just the same as any other level.

Our coach has told our level 7s that in order to compete at regionals you must purchase the team Ohio leo and wear it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back