How can i help a friend with major backwards fear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok about a year and a bit a go my friend bailed out of a round off Flic Sault (RO-BHS-BT) resulting in a fractured lumber spine (L5 i think) since returning she has not saulted yet, she was fine last year during competition season but after that she took some time off and fear set in she wouldn't even flic before but has got over this fear and is now round off flic-ing she has a really high rebound and trusts our coach with her life but not a back tuck. She is doing them of a mini tramp (not connected to anything) by herself now. Now, part of the problem the way our gym works in terms of progressions is long tramp into pit, long tramp on to mat in pit, tumble strip into pit, tumble strip on to mat in pit, tumble strip with spot, floor with stinger mat and spot, floor with spot, floor no spot. The problem is she won't go anywhere near the tumble track (where the injury occurred) so she has to work straight to floor from tramp, not a huge deal but it takes away the feeling of a pit and the safety that comes with it. She has a HUGE rebound and knows that she can do it physically but mentally cannot bring herself to do it. what can i do to maybe help her build up the courage to get her to do this (she needs it to do level 6 and really does not want to repeat lvl 5 for the third year in a row)

Maybe show her the Doc.Ali website, particularly the bits about having a one point focus and so on (ie- living in the now, present not thinking about previous experiences etc)

Also just be very supportive of her and encouraging, remind her of what an awesome gymnast she is :)

make sure she's talking to the coaches and listening and after that really, its up to her

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back