Parents How can you motivate a bored little gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So far, any mention of a different sport sends her into near hysteria. She curled into a ball and cried for almost 2 hrs Friday night when we said we were taking her out of gymnastics. I feel terribly guilty for switching her to this new gym over the winter, as she always did very well at her original gym, was the best (or close to it) in her group and picked up new skills relatively easily. Yes, she'd goof around sometimes, but they were much more light-hearted over there and incorporated a lot more "fun" into gymnastics (sleepovers, parties, open gyms, etc.) I thought I was choosing the "better" gym, obviously the more competitive gym, but at this point, I'm not so sure I made a good decision.

Long time lurker, but just wanted to reply because that sounds a lot like my DD. She loves gymnastics, flips around my house nonstop (and has been for years). When she was on level 4 (age 7/8) she started looking bored all the time, fooling around, totally not trying at all unless it was something that she was interested in. I talked to her several times about switching to rec and trying different sports because she really didn't seem into it while at the gym. And it killed me to pay so much every month. She cried that I would "ruin her life" if she stopped competing. She put no effort into level 4 because it was boring to her, doing the same skills and routines over and over. Her gym does not uptrain. The best move for her was Excel, she loves it. She can now work on all kinds of skills (which is her favorite part, the small details are not as exciting) and add them to her routines when she gets them. Keeps it interesting for her.

Sorry I haven't chimed in for a while on this conversation. Thanks to everyone for your different views and opinions. We did allow DD to continue for now just talked a LOT about trying her hardest. She did have a practice after we talked to her, and did very well, worked super hard. Then got sick and has missed a whole week, lol. She does get distracted very easily in everything in life. She certainly can focus if she WANTS to but it takes effort on her part. Hopefully it will improve as she gets older! Her routines are beginning to look very polished, so hopefully she can do well competing this season and be given the opportunity to move up in the Spring. I know if she gets more time to learn a few new things that will help renew her as well, she gets SO proud when she learns or perfects a new skill. I will try to stay out of the gym as much as possible and see if that helps too.

I appreciate the stories of goofy 6 yr olds that turned into hardworking 8 or 9 yr olds, that gives me hope!! If it's not her sport, than so be it, we'll pull her out, but right now, she just won't even consider it so we'll just take it a day/week/month at a time :)

Thanks again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back