Coaches How common are injuries at lower levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Just wondering how common injuries are with lower levels. I am a worrywort and A's coach is now saying that she will probably want her to move to team in March. Too soon for my worrying heart and head. LOL.

My concerns are 1.) We have no health insurance, don't qualify for state insurance and none available at DHs job, I do plan on getting an individual plan for her. 2.) She will have practice 11 hours a week, though her coach did say she could do 2 days a week (so 7 hours) since she is so young, if we prefer. I am thinking of doing that for the first month since she only goes 3 hours a week currently and think 3 hours to 11 hours is a huge jump. I won't be able to stay that long with an almost 2 year old to chase after :D, and I worry she might get hurt and I won't be there. I only live 10 minutes from the gym, but still.

I know I am a little weird on the worrying part. I have anxiety issues. Especially with my kiddos.

So, how common are injuries at practice (and since this is coaches forum, level 4)? I know that injuries are going to happen sometimes, but I am hoping for some reassurance.

Hi

Yes i would agree with you that you have anxiety issues, and it is understandable. However, there is little to be worried about especially if you live 10min away from the gym.
At L4 there are very low risk of injuries. However this is dependant on several factors
1- Gymnasts , are they silly (and just because they arent when they know you are there watching, doesn't mean this is the case when you gone. Speaking from a coaching point of view). Silly kids will tend to injure themselves more often for obvious reasons
2- Coach - Can they control the group, what are the gymnasts to coach ratio numbers
3- Gymnasium - Is it save, or is it a danger zone? Are there adaquate mats etc
4- System - Are kids pushed to hard to fast, on an non individual basis. This can lead to overuse injuries very quickly, and it also could expose the kids to skill they are just not ready for. Are skill taugh progressively or just by repeating things over and over and over with corrections coming from the side lines by the coaches?
5- Conditioning and physical preparation - Essential...i dont think i need to explain.

Overall injuries increase with difficulty in skill, at L4 i wouldnt worry about injuries. You will probably get the occasional ankle sprain and muscle strain but its nothing out of the ordinary, kids bounce back quickly and will recover fast. However with good coaching injuries at this level should be the last thing to worry about.

Valentin,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. :D My DD is pretty cautious. But, she is 5 and does play around sometimes. Usually just doing handstands while waiting for her turn or jumping into the pit when they are working near it (and no one else is using it). She has actually come a long way and listens very well and stays out of trouble. Her gym definitely seems safe and the coaches are always there. They seem to individualize things a lot and each child progresses at their own level (at least in DDs current class). I don't see a lot of girls with injuries either. My DD is very talkative and open with me and I think she will let me know if things aren't keeping her happy. Thanks again!

I'm a parent but having been watching for years (my dd is level 10). Lower levels are usually developmental and good coaches won't have them doing skills that would cause injury. Usually when an injury happens in the lower levels its at home on the trampoline!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back