WAG How Confidential is a Visit to Another Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Some owners/coaches are crazy...some parents are crazy...everyone needs to protect themselves from crazies.

Please remember that this is a two way street...I expect to see no more parents talking in the stands of the meets...or in the viewing room.

Someone once told me this...

If you have a question…ask us!
If you have a concern…tell us!
If you have a compliment…tell a friend!

We had a bad experience leaving a gym and I took the honest approach. It didn't go over well so I can't recommend it. We spoke with the coaches and the owner because we loved and respected them. The program just couldn't offer what we were looking for. It was a situation where dd would have to leave eventually so it was time to look. The coaches were understanding and agreed a move would need to be made and that attitude is exactly why I loved them and respect them. The owner on the other hand told me if we visited another gym we would be kicked out :( So we got kicked out. A lot of nasty things were said about us and lies made up. Total drama all around. Looking back we would have been better off not being upfront and just saying "bye" with no honesty or explanation. I don't know how I'd handle it in reality if there was ever a need for a move. I just hope there never is a reason.

Basically it is what it is, and I still view the request for confidentiality as a way of avoiding an open and sincere conversation with coach #1. It also places the perspective coach as a likely culprit should the "news" leak out....no matter who does the leaking. So ask me to do the best I can to coach your child because that's something I can do fairly well, but do not lay the responsibility for a secret at my feet....for if you do I'll scoot it right "backatchya".

I guess I don't see a visit to another gym as a "request for confidentiality" per se, I feel like the professional response to someone visiting their gym is not to blab it all around. It wouldn't occur to me to "request" confidentiality because i would be expecting it...

Some owners/coaches are crazy...some parents are crazy...everyone needs to protect themselves from crazies.

I wonder, though, if as a coach/gym owner, you had a crazy family, would you be 100% honest about it to the other gym? I would think if you wanted that family to go, you'd downplay the crazy or the new gym wouldn't take them.

Note - this wasn't directed at JBS. More of a general "thing that makes me go 'hmmmm....'"

I wonder, though, if as a coach/gym owner, you had a crazy family, would you be 100% honest about it to the other gym?

Good question...I would. If we have a totally crazy family...we just throw them out.

Please don't think we just go around throwing people out...it takes a lot for this to happen. Has only happen once in many...many years at our club.

The clubs by us all know who they are and what they represent...each club is a very different style. Looking for a different style club is very different than being crazy. If a family does not believe in our training style or vision...they may fit in better at one of the other local clubs with a different vision. This is not being crazy...this is simply finding what you want.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back