Parents How could I make my daughter interested in gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You can't. My oldest DD lives for the sport, but she has the drive, the passion, the attention to detail and the work ethic.

My 2nd DD has been doing rec gym for a bit over 3 years. She enjoys it, but doesn't care about pointing her toes or staying tight. She went rock climbing for the first time last night, and her face lit up like my oldest does at the gym. She starts climbing lessons in December.

Each kid has his/her own thing. You can cultivate an interest that already exists, but if there is no interest, there's not much you can do to force it.

And also, based on the only other thread you have posted here, it sounds like you're looking to live vicariously thru your daughter. You like gymnastics? Great! It's on TV from time to time and YouTube as well.

Ask your daughter if she's like to try it. If she says yes, then try it and see how she likes it, if she says no, ask her what she DOES want to do and support her in that :)

And also, based on the only other thread you have posted here, it sounds like you're looking to live vicariously thru your daughter. You like gymnastics? Great! It's on TV from time to time and YouTube as well.

Ask your daughter if she's like to try it. If she says yes, then try it and see how she likes it, if she says no, ask her what she DOES want to do and support her in that :)
you having a bad day?

Nope, just trying to get my point across. Parents need to hear tough love sometimes too. Perhaps I should have included more rainbows and hearts in my response? :p
I know what you were doing. Comes across harsh considering how little is known of the OP. Did you ever consider that maybe English is not the first or even second language of the OP and that maybe communicating in it might be difficult?

Like the others have said, you really can't. You never know what they're going to be passionate about, and their passions can change too! My older DD lived for dance, it was her life, then one day she wasn't interested anymore. Obviously we finished up the season (she did competitive) and she was a good sport about it, but she was done. And now she's doing theater and loves it. She practices on her own, researches roles...it's her thing, and will support it. I played softball through highschool and I desperately wanted my girls to play, but that's not how it worked out. So I get it, it's disappointing that your DD may not share your love for gymnastics, but she'll find something! Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be gymnastics. All we can to is expose them to different things and see what they're interested in. It will work out! Good luck :)

I know what you were doing. Comes across harsh considering how little is known of the OP. Did you ever consider that maybe English is not the first or even second language of the OP and that maybe communicating in it might be difficult?

This thread subject and the o/p's posting style seems very familiar to me. I may be having a deja vu, but I could swear there was a poster a few weeks back, who wanted their DD to become a gymnast in a similar way for the same reasons. I did a search of old posts, but couldn't find it.

o/p I apologise if I'm confusing you with someone else.

This thread subject and the o/p's posting style seems very familiar to me. I may be having a deja vu, but I could swear there was a poster a few weeks back, who wanted their DD to become a gymnast in a similar way for the same reasons. I did a search of old posts, but couldn't find it.

o/p I apologise if I'm confusing you with someone else.
Me too. I saw the avatar, and recalled the previous post. I searched, and don't find it, BUT, I do remember that others had responded on that thread.

Me too. I saw the avatar, and recalled the previous post. I searched, and don't find it, BUT, I do remember that others had responded on that thread.

You're not crazy, I remember reading this too, but it was a longer post about her having a life long dream of being a gymnast and her daughter is at gym but not behaving or not loving it as much as she'd like her too. Maybe she started another account or something.

OP as everyone else said, gymnastics is not for the faint of heart and you can't make a kid love it or any other sport or activity for that matter. your only concern should be that she enjoys whatever extracurriculars she's fortunate enough to participate in.

My daughter is 2 and has been in gymnastics for about half a year now. Gymnastics seems like a great fit for her with her personality, frame, and natural abilities. I tried to start gymnastics with my son, 3, but I just don't think it is for him. So he never went past the trial class.

I would love to say I am living vicariously through my daughter because I always wanted to be a gymnast. But she will have the option to stop whenever she wants. I just love that gymnastic skills are transferable to so many other activities.

You can't and I seem to remember this also on a previous thread.

Parents provide opportunities. The kids like it or not. It should never be about what the parent wants.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back