WAG How do “event finals” work? (Brestyans Vegas meet)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
I saw on the website for the Brestyans Vegas meet that there will be event finals for Levels 7-10. How does that work? Pretty sure my daughter competed at this meet a few years ago and don’t recall event finals. Is this a new thing?

I don’t know about that meet specifically, but I do k ow our gym doesn’t participate in finals if a meet offers them. Maybe yours is the same?

DD has participated in a meet with event finals but not that particular one. They took the top so many scores of each level (8-10) for each apparatus. Only one gymnast went at a time similar to a duel college meet. Competition was by level by apparatus. No all arounds. Was a lot of fun. Gyms/gymnasts could opt out. Not mandatory, but a great experience.

Thanks! Sounds kind of fun. Do they do it on a separate day, like at the end of the meet?
They held it on an evening of the meet weekend (Saturday?). Took about the same amount of time as a regular session. Compulsory and Xcel levels still had sessions the following day.

We haven't been to that meet, but the Charleston Cup meet has event finals and we did that one last year. They competed on Saturday and event finals were on Sunday morning. I can't remember exactly how many places, but I think it is the top 8 scores on each event across all age groups per level. So the top 8 level 7 beam scores, top 8 level 7 floor scores, etc. Some girls do qualify and compete in multiple events. At Charleston Cup, they did all of one event before moving on. They announce placements after each event. So they started on bars and after everyone finished on bars, they announced winners and then moved on to beam. For girls that were done competing, our gym told them they could leave. Unfortunately my daughter qualified on vault so we were there the entire time. It was very long and we were ready to be done.

It's fun because at these super big meets there are a lot of sessions, so they take the top scores of each event (sometimes only level 9/10) and they have a "final" on Saturday evening to get an overall winner of the meet for that event.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back