How do coaches usually split their group for comp team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ruby&jack

Proud Parent
Hi just wondering how coaches usually split their girls for comps, as in- if there are 9 girls in a squad do they put top 5 in one group and bottom 4 in another? Or evenly mix the two groups?

Do you mean splitting the squad into teams for awards? Different clubs do it different ways and it can depend on the level and the competition format.

Been done both ways at our club, but usually top scorers to A team, rest to B. Scores usually decided from an in house competition or last comp.

Have seen it done a few different ways - in the boys team it is dependant on your scores at the previous competition, they are ranked and top 6 in A team, next six in B team etc.
For the girls - have seen it done the same way, so an A team and a B team ( and have seen the B team beat the A team as well) . Have also been split by training hours, and just by random draw.

Have seen it done a few different ways - in the boys team it is dependant on your scores at the previous competition, they are ranked and top 6 in A team, next six in B team etc.
For the girls - have seen it done the same way, so an A team and a B team ( and have seen the B team beat the A team as well) . Have also been split by training hours, and just by random draw.
Saw one recently where the C team beat the A and B and the crowd were all cheering for them!
Everyone loves an underdog.

Our gym recently split about 16 girls all training level 4. They were split by coachability amd maturity.

Most gyms split their teams on ability with all the top scoring gymnasts in one team and the next lot in the next team. The aim is to give the gym the best possible chance to take out the competition.

Personally I prefer to split the gymnasts so their trams are as equal as possible. That way instead of having all your best in one team and then only their top three scores counting you can have all your top gymnasts scores account across both teams. It also removes the "we are the good team or bad team attitude".

Just seems so disheartening for the 'bottom' girls, when we're talking 6-8 year olds (NDP2).
To watch their team mates make podium finishes far more than they will :(

It depends what comp it is. Competitions like states are done in A and B teams. Coaches look at things like scores at latest comps and how well the gymnast trains. In other comps the girls are in teams with some strong competitors and some not as strong.

I've seen them done randomly and in ability groups. Recently we had 5 girls and the maximum in a team was 4, so our coach took the best girl out... That was weird. We are all adults (apart form the girl who got kicked out, she is only 16) so we went and asked her to change it, which she did. Apparently she did it that way to make the new people (ie, me) feel more comfortable, but it actually had the opposite effect, as I didn't want the other girl to think she had been kicked out to make room for me.

Its interesting, one of the clubs in our state runs a very popular competition where every team is just a random mix of gymnasts from any club.

Upon arrival at the competition they draw the names out of a hat as to who is in which team. The teams are a total mix of kids from various clubs, they are then give. A coloured hair ribbon to indicate which team they are in so that the girls can continue to go around with their normal coach.

They do this so the kids can compete without having to worry about the results, the best kid in the state may be competing with the child who is brand new to competition.

Its interesting, one of the clubs in our state runs a very popular competition where every team is just a random mix of gymnasts from any club.

Upon arrival at the competition they draw the names out of a hat as to who is in which team. The teams are a total mix of kids from various clubs, they are then give. A coloured hair ribbon to indicate which team they are in so that the girls can continue to go around with their normal coach.

They do this so the kids can compete without having to worry about the results, the best kid in the state may be competing with the child who is brand new to competition.
If this is the one I am thinking of I was there too

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back