WAG How do I "stop" my giants?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I am learning how to do giants in the straps. Favourite skill ever :)

Though I'm not sure how to stop! I tried arching but after my fourth or fith giant my swing is too powerful- yesterday I did a giant with my toes practically on my head.

Method two: I slammed my toes into the floor. Pretty effective but I partially broke a few of my toes. Whoops.

Method three: I attempted to pike right before the handstand.tWorst idea I have ever had. I don't think the bruises on my hips will ever heal.

How do I stop my giants without hurting myself or almost peeing my pants (archy giants are the scariest thing ever)!

I don't do it in the most pretty way but it works. On the way down from handstand I break form, I do it by arching and tucking and it kills my swing. Another way that works too is don't tap on the swing and then push away from the bar through your shoulder and pull your feet to the floor. I prefer the first way easier and more reliable for me.

You could try going into a back hip circle from the HS. Don't kick hard through the bottom and tap. Coast, open your hips and arch instead of kicking toes.

I learned to stop giants by breaking in my shoulder angle as I passed through a handstand-- basically, the same as above but with a push away swing instead of a back hip circle. (It's like how most people kip out of a cast handstand or a clear hip handstand. You don't just fall from a HS; you close your shoulder angle and then push away.)

after the handstand phase, you bring your feet right to the bar, touch the bar and then "jump" down. this creates a kill tap and you'll stop at the bottom.:)

I arch at the top and it makes them stop. Sometimes it takes another whole swim of holding an arch for it to stop though.

I learned to stop giants by breaking in my shoulder angle as I passed through a handstand-- basically, the same as above but with a push away swing instead of a back hip circle. (It's like how most people kip out of a cast handstand or a clear hip handstand. You don't just fall from a HS; you close your shoulder angle and then push away.)

after the handstand phase, you bring your feet right to the bar, touch the bar and then "jump" down. this creates a kill tap and you'll stop at the bottom.:)

A good drill is to practice 3 fast giants and 3 slow giants. That will help to develop the control that you need.

I like all three of these........

dunno's will get the job done as soon as you can commit to moving your feet to the bar....a one day solution.

Coach S offers a way to slow down and really learn about swinging.

gymcat's idea also works and can be a great way to learn how to transition into clear hips, stalders, toe circles......and you start by trying to break your shoulder angle right after you hit the support in handstand phase of the giant. You can kill nearly all of your swing by breaking in the shoulders and increasing your hollow position, from there you can slowly and tightly lengthen as you pass the low bar to allow for a smooth swing through the bottom and have just about enough swing to do a long hang kip.

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and you can use the same movements to learn the transistions into the close circling skills I already mentioned.

When you do giants on strap bar, do you do a cast giant, or do you swing into it? Is this a low bar (trying to figure out how you slammed your toes).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back