How do they choose team members at your gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mostly just "noticing"

I'm just a parent, so I don't know anything "official". We just moved to this area 3 yrs ago and had to pick a gym. It was January and I put my daughter in 2 gyms (she was 4) to see which one we liked better.

In one gym, on her very first day, the coaches of her pre-school class pulled her aside and started testing her. They were ready to move her on up immediately. She took an advanced class for the last couple of months of that year and in June they invited her to move onto their team. However, I wasn't sure I wanted that for her yet, and while the gym was very nice, I could tell that my daughter didn't entirely trust her coaches there.

In the other gym, after a couple of weeks, she was moved into their advanced class also. In June, she was invited to participate in their pre-comp squad. More hours in the gym, and more intense classes, but no team fees and no pressure. After 2 years of pre-comp, she was put on Level 4 at 6yrs old. The coaches openly debated whether to start her on level 4 or 5, but we all decided that since she was still pretty young, we'd try level 4.

My understanding is that this is how most girls join the team. They are spotted in a regular rec class, moved into an advanced class, then possibly invited into pre-comp, them onto the team. However, I believe a couple of parents did ask about putting their kids on team, and so they were given the summer to "try-out". A couple of those made it, and a couple didn't.

Throughout the summer, the girls are watched carefully by all the team coaches. However, there are three coaches who are part of the family who started the gym and they have the ultimate vote.

If your child is pretty good, you pretty much know in June whether she will move up another level or not. If she is borderline, it's more iffy. Basically, they have to know the new tricks, or at least be VERY close to getting the new tricks to move up.

Sorry I'm so long-winded! Thanks!
Gym Mommy

I thought I'd post an update.

I have all the level 5 skills except my kips, same as the other girl in my class who has already been invited. In fact, I have more level 5 skills then she does (she's missing beam cartwheel and front hip circle). BUT all the attention is on her. The coach who does most of the recruiting hardly notices I exist. He saw her do ONE THING, one FREAKING thing and he says it looks like she has everything she needs. My coach is constantly focusing on helping the other girl get all her skills in time for evaluations. This girl, she does not even know the difference between compulsory and optional. I, on the other hand, know ALL the level 5 routines and most of the level 4 and 6 ones. I have let my coaches know that I am interested, but they seemed to pass me off as "someone who might be good enough, someday." I am good enough RIGHT NOW. :(

I practically know the names of all the girls on the level 6, 7 and 8 teams. I watch them practice every monday while my little brother is in class. I know who made it to state and who didn't. I know who's the worst and who's the best. I know what they do for strength and flexibility, I know their practice times. I know freakin' almost everything...

And yet, I'm just not good enough. Not short enough, or young enough.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back