WAG How do they typically divide up the ages at competetions? (For xcel, usag, or aau)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ari97

Gymnast
Does anyone know how they divide the ages up in competetions typically ? For xcel, usag or aau?

It's varied from meet to meet. Some meets its split up by each age. 6 year olds, 7 year olds, 8 year olds, etc. Other meets its been 6-8, 9-11, 12 and up. Others have been 6-7, 8-9, 10-11, etc. That's been our experience anyways. The larger the meet the more broke down the age groups were. DD competes USAG.

Depends. It's often based on birth date, but some meets keep teams together rather than break them up across multiple sessions.

Varies on how many of each age are registered for the meet. Most meets will try to have a roughly equal amount of girls in each age group. We have been to some that had a ton of one age and nearly none of another though (20 some versus 4!)

I've seen them divided up by 1) age they will be at the State meet, 2) age on the day of a particular meet, or 3) divided into equal number per group (by age). My dd competes with different kids almost every time!

I always encourage people to learn as much as they can about this sport. To that end, there are specific rules about age determination and age divisions for meets in he USAG rules and policies.

For an invitational meet (which are most of the meets clubs attend) the age divisions are up to the meet director. The competition age is not changeable; it is the age the athlete wiil be on the last day of the culminating meekt for her level for theo season.

I usually try to plan a meet so that my award groups are about equal in size. If that means combining or splitting age groups, then so be it.

you guys are Saints for even answering that VAST question. :)

Where we live, it's usually by how old they'll be by state meet, but there's been a few that's how old they are now. Sometimes as well, they do age groups like 10 and up if it is a small number of kids. Just my two cents :)

For USAG, it's by age on the first day of states or age on the date of meet - w/ usually a relatively equal amount of gymnasts in each awards group. The higher the level, the older the "and under" and the "and up" age groups become, and often very popular ages for that level will be in an A and B based on a midpoint DOB.

For instance, for L4 it's usually 7 and under, 8, 9, and 10 and up. For L5 I usually see 8 and under, 9A, 9B, 10, 11 and 12 and up. For L6 I saw a lot of 9 and under, 10A, 10B, 11 and 12 and up, etc. It seems like once it's Optionals, there are usually 2-3 junior groups, and 2-3 senior groups, and I think the juniors are younger than 12 and the seniors 12 and up. Of course, that number may go up w/ the levels (like maybe for level 8 it's 13, 9 it's 14, etc.)...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back