Coaches How do you correctly jump to the high bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
I think part of my dd problem is how she jumps to the high bar. She jumps very arched. Her chest is probably the first thing to pass under the high bar. Should she be hollow when she jumps? Anyt tips on how to help her?

I think part of my dd problem is how she jumps to the high bar. She jumps very arched. Her chest is probably the first thing to pass under the high bar. Should she be hollow when she jumps? Anyt tips on how to help her?

While the ideal shape would be hollow, there are kids who just don't make a true hollow shape due to their height. Some kids shouldn't really "jump" to the high bar, because it isn't far enough to warrant a jump...it's more of a fall to a gradual hollow before passing under the high bar.

When smaller athletes jump into a loose arch shape when they catch the bar, then it's a different story, because the arch affects the swing into the kip (lack of "swingful execution"), the arms bend, the legs bend, and the rhythm of the kip is affected.

It's pretty common for smaller athletes. Maybe if she tries to repeat the hollow shape from her glide kip when she jumps from the high bar, she will show the right shape.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back