How do you do a Cody on the trampoline?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I must be doing something incorrectly. I cannot for the life of me do a Cody on the trampoline.

I'm sure this board knows what a Cody is, but in case you don't (or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong name) it's either a back 3/4 to your stomach or a front drop to your stomach, after you hit your stomach you do a back somersault to your stomach again.

I'm pretty sure I have the physical ability to do the move. I have enough abs to do ballouts from my 3/4 front or double front from my knees, but for some reason if I do a front drop of back 3/4 I cannot do a Cody. I pull very hard, and the most I can get is a very powerful back drop. I'm pretty sure if I pull my hardest, I will land on my neck, so in my opinion I think it's something with my bad technique, and not my bad physical body. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not very flexible in my back, I can't do a back walkover, but I can do a back hand spring. Could this be the problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

jra64.

First of all, strength is not a very important aspect in being able to do a back cody - most trampoline skills aren't. It's all just about knowing how to move your body.

Secondly, do you have a coach, and are you doing trampolining lessons? I understand mucking around on tramps and learning skills in WAG, but the skills you are doing are advanced, and I'd freak out if one of my kids tried learning it in the gym without me. (It kills me when they learn dangerous stuff like that at home to). We're an elite tramp gym so we know what we're doing, too.

But onto codys. The easiest way to learn a back cody is be spotted. Bungie belts can also work if you're bigger/heavier than what your coach is capable of supporting. There is a specific style of spotting used for this skill, as you've also got to be able to jump - it's difficult to explain, but I can if you want (although I wouldn't recommend someone try on a first time with someone who can't cody).

Progressions we use, and our tramp kids are usually doing 10 s/s, learning FTB and rudi, and double s/s drills:
3/4 back, to back drop pullover - with a really good push and rotation through to back. Plenty of height and time.
The same, but from 2 jumps.

I also use front drop, to feet, whipped sault, just to get kids used to pushing off their hands and initiating fast somersault action. As well as leg positioning. But it is definitely not ideal.

Make sure legs stay straight during the 3/4 back, slight reversing is ideal, and as you land you bend your legs up at the knees. This allows you to get your body through faster to start the cody.

Once the gymnasts can do all of that, it's just a matter of spotting. Confidence comes. I've been told they're easier than double backs...personally I think double backs are easier. But they're a really useful skill.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I'm so glad I can talk to to elite trampoline coaches through Chalk Bucket =).

A few things =).

You say the cody isn't a strength move, but later on you say to you they are harder than double backs (which I don't even know if I can do, yet.) Should I be able to do a double back before trying a cody?

I do have a coach, they don't really do trampoline lessons there. They do mainly floor and they are all about cheer. Also, I'm a male, not a female =).

We don't have a bungie belt or else I'd be trying everything possible on the trampoline, is there a specific way that someone should spot a Cody?

What do you mean by 10 s/s, FTB, and double s/s?

Is s/s somersault and FTB front to back?

Thanks for the response, Anna! =).

i seem to remember my coach saying that it had a lot to do with your kody kick wich is where you kick your legs on the bed when landing a front drop

Happy to help, only I rarely can remember my login details so I end up doing a lot of reading and not much posting!

With regards to strength, trampoline is very different to gymnastics in that strength is not a necessity in order to be able to do skills. It doesn't mean it's most definitely not important, but it plays a different role. If you think of a gymnastics skill, say a kip on bars - strength plays a HUGE role in giving you the ability to do the skill, and then technique is the other hugely important aspect of being able to do the skill. In fact, that's probably true for most bar skills. Technique being the overriding imporant factor, but strength making the task so much easier.
In trampoline, because you gain height from the trampoline, provided you have enough height, rotation and awareness, you can pretty much do anything (if you've got the guts). That's why we've had people do standing double backs, triples in a row, 5x twisting double layouts, 23 somersaults and 29 twists in 10 jumps, etc. It is crucial you can control your body in the air - something that good quality strength helps us to achieve. Also, of course plyometric strength to gain height, and strength to help protect our muscles from injury.

Anyway, onto info re codys.

As to double back before cody, no, it's not important. It just helps with the feeling (because without the tramp contact, a 3/4 back, back cody is a double back).

I'd see if you could get down to a trampoline gym for a few training sessions and get them to help you - it's probably much safer than trying to do the skill with a coach who doesn't really know what they're doing. (Most kids, even when spotted, will bail on their first few and land on their head so that's reason to really know what you're doing).

Maybe look at the USAG site for tramp clubs nearby.

10 s/s = 10 somersaults in a row (s/s = somersault); FTB is full twist back somersault; double s/s = double somersault, aka 720* of rotation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back