how do you get them to drink?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
My son WILL NOT. He refuses to take a water bottle because no matter what I do, he's paranoid that it will spill. He insists that he can get a drink at the drinking fountain, but then he forgets or doesn't want the bother. I worry about it when he's out there for 4-5 hours. Is there a solution to this?

My son WILL NOT. He refuses to take a water bottle because no matter what I do, he's paranoid that it will spill. He insists that he can get a drink at the drinking fountain, but then he forgets or doesn't want the bother. I worry about it when he's out there for 4-5 hours. Is there a solution to this?
Do the coaches send the kids for water breaks? I gave my DD a goal of drinking a certain amount at each break and I can see her checking the level of her water bottle to make sure she is drinking enough :)

We have these Nike water bottles that have a locking top, and all the water bottles are kept together on a shelving unit so there is no chance that they will spill on equipment.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1420912674.644553.jpg

Here are some great water bottle brands that don't spill:
Camelbak
Contigo
Klean Kanteen
Polar Bottle
Nalgene
you can also buy "voss" water and reuse the glass container, its very spillproof! another suggestion would be to get a color/design that he likes, then he'll be more likely to use it

I use the Camelbak bottles when riding my road bicycle. They do not spill even when held upside down. No water comes out until you squeeze it. They're great bottles and they last a long time.

I might tell his coach too.

When I send my gymnasts for a water break, I have lots of kids who say they don't want or don't like water. I tell them, "It's important for you stay hydrated when you exercise" and fill in one of the many reasons. Then I tell them they have to have some water, even if they don't want it. They all drink. Some of the parents say, "Oh my goodness! She'll never drink water! How did you get her to do it?!"

Sometimes, it just has to come from someone else.

I second adding some lemon or mint leaves so it seems like less of a boring chore. There's also water bottles that can clip onto the outside of the bag so it doesn't spill on the contents inside the bag.

All great suggestions! Thanks! (He is fine about drinking during practice; the problem is at meets.)

I would ask the coach to say something during meets too. Just a general, everyone get a drink now! My ds will do stuff for his coach like that, but he will look at me like I have 2 heads if I suggest the same thing.

\

Sometimes, it just has to come from someone else.
Or just not be a choice. Like many things, parents let their kids choose, or always offer alternatives that the child likes better, thus they "won't" drink water.

I think it can be as simple as telling your child if you won't drink sufficient water you can't do the sport, it's not healthy. They won't drink at the gym, one option is to make them drink it before and after. Part of being in a sport is learning to be a healthy athlete, water consumption is part of this. This is not sufficient for a 4-5hr practice, though.

As far as refusing to take a water bottle, many don't spill, so get him one that doesn't. Can you also enlist his coach in this matter? My ds' coach will address things that the boys need to be aware (he has had hygiene talks the group.) If the coach says they have to drink during practice and that it allows for better performance, that would probably help a lot.

Even these simple water bottle don't spill: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Prod...1421895454&sr=8-4&keywords=sport+water+bottle (this is one example, there are many brands like this.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back