WAG How does commitment to competing a certain level at states work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
I hope someone can explain how being committed to a level for states works. I believe that the highest level a gymnast competes during the season is the one she must compete at states, assuming she meets the qualification score. So, if she competes only 3 events at the higher level that means she would not be committed to that level, right?

What about competing the higher level at an out of state meet? That would not affect the level she competes at states, right?

Looking for confirmation if anyone knows. Thanks!!

Different states have different rules and dates, but for Optionals at least, there is a declaration date by which you have to declare what level you are competing for the rest of the season--my state's date was February 1st. If you compete a higher level after that date, then that's the level you are "stuck" with for the rest of the season. If you (or rather your coach) declares you are competing at the lower level, you will be the lower level the rest of the season. I'm fairly certain after the date you can't jump back and forth between levels anymore. For states that have sections, if you compete sections at the higher level, then that's the level you are. You can't drop back after that unless you petition due to injury or something.

I'm sure the coaches will correct me if I'm incorrect on any of this :)

The main thing we're trying to figuure out is if she can compete up a level in a couple of weeks at an out of state meet and not be committed to compete that level at states. I *think* this is ok since it is not a state sanctioned event in our state, and therefore not considered a qualifier for states. We would like the score for possible mobility purposes next year, but don't want it to impact what level she competes at states.

Do I have this right?

It really depends on your state as some states have specific qualifiers or sectionals and other states do not. In our state it does not matter if the meet was in or out of state but we do have a "designation date" and like others said, you have to pick a level and stay at that level after that date for all meets including out of state and state meet. If it is before the designation date you can compete up a level and it will not affect anything. But, it may be different for your state.

I remember hearing about one of the optionals at DD's gym competing one meet out of state as an 8, but since our state does not accept out of state scores as qualifiers, she could still compete in-state at level 7 (which she did). Sounds like every state is different.

Thanks, her coach emailed me back and explained. It does vary by state and our state will apply the AA score she receives out of state as well. So, unfortunately she will be doing only 3 events at level 6, since he wants her to compete level 5 at states.

Thanks for the reponses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back