How does the Canadian system work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A coach at DD's gym in the USA is moving to Canada to coach at a different gym. DD is curious if the Canadian systems works as the coach mentioned Provencials (I think I spelled that right?) as a compulsory system. Can you explain how this works?Thanks.

It depends on where you are in Canada, Ontario has a very different system then the rest of Canada.
There are no compulsory routines, their are required skills, but not specifically routines.
We have provincial levels 1-5. Then there is national novice and open, which is kind of similar to L10 in the USA. There is the pre-novice program which is the same across the country and is for younger girls (I think 8-10), it is divided into 2 levels and its goal is to prepare these girls for a national program. There is also High performance which is basically Elite.
Along with that most provinces have their own developmental program.
P1 is the simplest level, highest meet in my province for them is Zones (qualification to provincials).
P2 and P3's highest meet is provincials and they have to place top 12 in their age to qualify to provincials.
P4's and up all go to provincials automatically. The highest meet of P4's is provincials.
P5's can qualify to Westerns where I am by placing top 5 at Trails.
National girls and up can qualify to Nationals.
It really depends upon which province they are moving too, their are big differences across the country. As well as which program she will be coaching, a provincial program or National program.

Ontario is just this year moving to what they call GO JO (gymnastics ontario JO). Very very similar to JO for levels 5-9, but 5 is not compulsory routines. Some minor chanhes to ensure that girls from our province can compete at "easterns". Provincials are a series of qualifiers at which girls compete, and the top, say 24, ranked from those qualifiers (best two out of three) can compete at provincial championships (like states). from there girls can qualify for easterns, against the other eastern provinces.

As mentioned above our National Open is like your L10.

The CPP, Canadian Provincial Program, is the one that most of Canada uses. Unless they are Elite tracked or in Ontario. The system is simple, optional and uses FIG for skills and scoring. No 10 here ever. If you find out where the coach is going we could share more as each province also has it's own developmental program and rec/comp program. I cannot imagine the coach is coming to Quebec though, French would certainly be needed as even our skills have different names.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back