How does your club do it...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
How does your club structure it's competitive streams.

Ours is currently a hot mess but that's about to change. Just wanted to quickly ask how many hours per week do the following groups train?

1) General floor and vault gymnasts
2) novice gymnasts (if different from above)
3) regional/national grades gymnasts and out of age levels gymnasts
4) compulsory grades and in age levels gymnasts.

Just interested to see how it works in other clubs and if we can gain more ideas!
Thanks.

Ours are all currently jumbled up.
1) from 2-6 hours per week
2) from 2-9 hours per week
3) from 9-15 hours per week
4) 15 hours per week

We are thinking of changing it to:

1) up to 4 hour per week
2) up to 9 hours per week
3) 9 hours per week
4) 15 hours plus per week

So no major changes but significant ones to try and streamline the sessions and ensure all gymnasts are in the most appropriate class for their ability

Advanced Rec (Competitive) - 2 hours a week (once a week)
Intermediate Development Squads (Competitive) - 5 hours a week (2x 2 1/2)
Development for 4-7 year olds - 3-4 hours a week depending on age, (2x 1 1/2 & 2x 2)
Development Group - 6 hours a week (3 x 2) age 6-8, not sure what it is called.
Junior Development Squad - ? Hours a week, ? Days a week
Compulsory Squad/ Performance development squad ? Hours a week ? Days a week
Disability development squad - 3 1/2 hours a week (2x 2 hours & 1 x 1 1/2 hours)
Trampoline Squad - ? Hours & ? Days

I am not sure about the hours and days of the Compulsory & Trampolining squads.

The National (if we have any), Regional, County & Compulsory in and out of age all train together ages 7 plus. The disability squad has gymnasts who do compulsory NDP grades (disability version)

Floor & Vault & Novice a county grades can be competed by Intermediate development gymnasts and the gymnasts who train 6 hours a week, the advance week groups can also compete in floor and vault and other small competitions. I am not sure if Grade 14+ can be done by the a Intermediate squads or the squads that do 6 hours.

do you split on age @marie83 ? Ours tend to be "big girls" and "little girls"

Yes pretty much at the moment it's more by age than ability but it's just not working now. We also lost a couple of coaches to university last year, and one to a new day job more recently. We also lost a few gymnasts for various reasons which meant we had to jumble the groups up more than usual to fit everyone in with a coach.

I have noticed that they also split the group into older girls and younger girls. The younger girls are around 7-9 and the older girls are around 9 plus, there are more girls in the younger age range and less in the older age range. These group of girls seem to work on or towards Grade 5+, I am not sure what group is training Grade 14+, my own little dd is still training away but not sure if she will be doing Grade 14+ or is on the path where they do floor and vault comps etc, to be honest I am not that bothered as long as she is enjoying gymnastics. Dd said her first comp is in November (no official word from coach yet) so I guess we will find out then.

We have just lost two high up members of the coaching team in the last 2 months, one to go on to bigger things and another just recently that I don't know why or really want to know why, I would rather keep out of that side of things unless it effects either of my dd's (which it didn't)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back