Parents How early can you drop off at your gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
As we all know it's a big commitment to be the parent of a competitive gymnast. B/c of various other commitments (such as my other child's activities) I sometimes need to drop DD off at gym about 15 minutes early to make things work. This was not allowed at our old gym. We are currently in the process of switching gyms and I'm wondering if most gyms will allow this or not -I am trying to work out carpool logistics as well as activities for my other child and this will play into it so I'm curious to hear what the norm is for this.

We have a long commute (45-70 minutes) that can get really long with traffic. DD hates to be late so we usually leave pretty early and often arrive 15-20 min early. It's never been a problem for the girls to go ahead and go out into the gym.

Old gym, our coach was rarely ever on time, but she allowed kids to come up to an hour early if she was there.

New gym, as long as there is a head coach there they have said we can drop off up to 3 hours early. Probably because summer hours are 12:30-5 for optionals and most working parents can't accommodate that schedule.

Our old gym allowed team girls to come as early as they wanted so long as the gym was open. All others could not be in the building any earlier than 5 minutes before their scheduled class. The new gym it has never come up, but we are usually about 10-15 minutes early and some of the other girls are already getting warmed up.

I am pretty sure the old gym had that rule because there was not much room in the lobby, but the team girls had a locker room where they could hang out until training.

I don't know of a rule at dd's gym. Girls are definitely not allowed in the actual gym until practice starts. But they can wait in the locker room or the parent viewing area for practice to start. My dd gets dropped off about 15 minutes early most days and it's never been a problem.

My DD prefers to arrive 15 or so min early to each practice. After that and she considers herself "late".

#anxiety

I'd double check with new gym but likely it's just fine.

I don't know if our gym has a policy, but my daughter is also one who likes to be at least 10 to 15 minutes early, and it's not a problem. I know they don't want them on the floor unless their coach is out there too.

My DD prefers to arrive 15 or so min early to each practice. After that and she considers herself "late".

#anxiety

I'd double check with new gym but likely it's just fine.

I feel you. We arrived at 7:58 for an 8:00 practice because we encountered 2 wrecks and had to re route 3 times, and she was losing her mind!!

My daughter hates being early - she will make me park the car or just drive around the area if we are any earlier than 5 mins before class starts. Weird huh? ;). I believe we are able to drop off as early as we want provided the gym is open and there is class going on. We have a very large lobby, a snack bar, apparel shop, etc. so our gym kind of caters/profits off of kids and parents who are just sitting around. We have good wifi too so kids can play on their phones, etc. There are always kids sitting around doing homework, etc.

Mine also considers herself late if less than 15 minutes early. We have a day a week that I drop her about one and a half hours early due to our schedule and traffic. We have about a 40 minute commute and it turns into over an hour if I get there after a certain time on a certain day and I can´t get home in time to get my other kids where they need to go. I was a bit worried at first but she does her homework in the locker room or viewing tables and most times there are other kids there hanging out as well. They are not disruptive and for the most part stay in their team space. For team rules are pretty lax. For rec, they can´t be more than 10 mins early or 10 mins late.

Optionals are allowed to come early and stay late in order to work on various skills (contract has a list of what they can and can't do without a coach directly observing).

Thanks! It's helpful to know that it's not the norm for a gym to be so strict about kids being dropped off a bit early. I wasn't asking if she can go on the gym floor early -just be around the lockers/lobby/waiting area unsupervised without me or another parent there.

For team, kids can be dropped off & picked up whenever the gym is open if they're old enough to be self sufficient. Many middle/high school kids get to gym very early & do homework for a couple of hours before practice. Some kids stay late, waiting for a sibling to finish. For rec/camp kids, you pay for supervised early/late drop off & pick up.

We've used 5? gyms over the years and they were all fine with early team dropoff. It's basically one of their homes.

Like others have stated, we don't have stipulations for team. They are welcome to come as long as the gym is open and staffed.

I feel you. We arrived at 7:58 for an 8:00 practice because we encountered 2 wrecks and had to re route 3 times, and she was losing her mind!!

My DD would have been (quietly) losing her mind right along with her. Plus lots of sighing and glaring.

But, life happens and she isn't always early. I chalk it up to a lesson in tolerance for her. :cool:

My DD would have been (quietly) losing her mind right along with her. Plus lots of sighing and glaring.

But, life happens and she isn't always early. I chalk it up to a lesson in tolerance for her. :cool:

Could she talk to my DD and her at least lose her mind quietly?? She is quite vocal about it!

10 minutes. Team are the first kids at the gym so there are many times no one is there physically, to let them in any earlier If someone is there, they can hang on the waiting area, but it's not anything you can count on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back