How for will you travel for a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HEY HEY....nother Jersey girl here to represent!

We've gone to small meets where there were only a couple other gyms there and we've been to Atlantic City for a HUGE meet where gyms up and down East Coast attend.

Is the Atlantic City meet the Star Struck Invitational? Our gym is going there for the first time this year, so I'm trying to find out as much about the meet as I can. It's about a 7 hour drive for us (not sure if that's good or bad:p).

as a level 10, my parents would be willing to travel nearly anywhere at this point. but never as a level 4 did i have to fly anywhere...that's actually kinda weird. my parents wouldn't have done it at such a young age, because i don't think it was that serious. my parents would probably tell you it isn't worth it. haha.

Is the Atlantic City meet the Star Struck Invitational? Our gym is going there for the first time this year, so I'm trying to find out as much about the meet as I can. It's about a 7 hour drive for us (not sure if that's good or bad:p).

YES! The Star Struck meet is the one in Atlantic City! It is a huge, very well run meet with about 3 meets going on at the same time. It is only about a 2 hr ride for us so we did not stay overnight, but the hotel looked like alot of fun.

I so wish we traveled more for meets. Our gym used to go to FL every other year and well now of course they don't. I think traveling as a team would be a GREAT bonding experience. All of DD's best friends are at the gym and I know she would just love to spend a couple of days traveling with them. The travel expence isn't a big issue. I think the expereince of the travel and the meet are GREAT for any age. I know if we did the FL meet again it would turn into a weeks vacation for us and throw Disney or the beach into the mix for some much needed RnR.

I do have to say with the early meet times for the most part we will be getting a hotel room so DD is fresh in the morning. I can't wake her up at 5 am and ask her to sleep in a car to be ready to compete at 8am. That just isn't fair to her. So no matter what we will have to have at least 7 hotel rooms a season.

We have a meet that requires a flight and stay over this year:eek:. I'm having a hard time justifying this meet for a level 4 girl. I can see when she is a higher level, but so young and so early is it really worth it?

How far will you travel for a meet?

For cumpiulsorary levels I passes on any of those travel meets. I just isn't necessary at that level especially a L4. Now that DD is L7 we are tring to do one that requires excessive traveling like you described but instead of a plane we are going by train it ended up being cheaper for that time of year. We are also not staying at the host hotel as that is just way too expensive even with the group discount. Down the street about 6 miles is a Marriot Residence Inn that is 1/2 the price of the host hotel so we are going there and even with the rental car it's cheaper to do.

Normally though If we can drive it (about 3 hours) in one time we will go to it and spend the night before her session in a hotel with an indoor pool as most meets are in the winter. It makes a fun weekend and she isn't so tired for the meet then and I get a nights sleep before I have to do the drive back.

See what you started TeamDad, you had to go there. Now all the NJ people are going to be in an uproar!!! NotAMom had to try to squash our spirits too.

Not happening, we will unite and fight the good fight!!! :cool:

Just for the record, I didn't pay Blackie to say this, but will consider paying her admission fee to a meet if we should every meet up again.... :p

I am feeling stronger today than ever before.... :huge: (like the big head, huh!!!)
How about some unity to put up some meaningful road sign?
icon13.gif

Alright, all kidding aside, I was trying to get across the Holland Tunnel this w/e. It took me a good half hour of guessing following a vaguely posted detour route to bypass a construction that blocked off the way that I can normally take with my eyes closed. At one intersection, their were two signs: one said Detour Ends and the other said to continue straight with the detour. There was no reference to the tunnel. Luckily, I recognized the intersection and made a right turn (legally) and reached the tunnel less than 2 minutes later. Gotta love it!!!

Oops, sorry for hijacking the thread again...

At my daughters -5 level we only travel pretty much in the state but the meets are 2-3 hours away sometimes. I used to think it would be nice to go somewhere far but I think it would be pretty expensive. Usually only the level8's and above go to flyaway meets and they usually go as a team with the coaches so they are usually older. I kind of think that it is a good thing in a way because it teaches the younger girls that if you stick with the sport and work hard when you become an optional you will also get a chance to go away. It kind of rewards the older kids who stay on the team for all the sacrifices they make such as not hanging out with their friends on the weekends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back