MAG How important is future stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

sjm2b3

Proud Parent
At our old gym, the coach was planning to take my son to Future Stars testing. I really didn't look much into it because he was only 7 at the time. We started at a new gym (brand new) and with a new team, I doubt they will do things like this. In the long run, does it matter (he just turned 9 and is competing level 6)? I know they are not testing TOPS for the girls (my DD was doing this at the previous gym and is not now, and I'm fine with that for a variety of reasons).
Thoughts?

Yes and no.

Like TOPS, you need a phenom who is very young as the requirements step up every year.

With Future Stars if they qualify high enough, they can compete L9/10 much earlier than they normally might be allowed.

That being said, I know one coach who has a Sr National team member who no longer does it. I think he got out of it when said kid was still a Jr.

I think the rule is just fro 10 yo to compete Level 8. Can they keep moving faster thru or do they still have to wait for the other levels?

D loves future stars. But, we did not compete it last year. Our coach uses the routines as warm ups and conditioning, and as stations during workout. They learn them all, but did not compete last year. We might compete this year if our shoulder heals.

So, I think if the coach is teaching the skills and possibly doing the routines, whether or not you do future stars competitions does not really matter.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back