WAG How is gymnastics in Canada?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are in the US and my dds are level 10 and 7. My husband is from Canada and has recently gotten a good job offer/opportunity. Thing is, there is a very real chance we will be relocating to Canada. Nothing is certain yet but I would still like to know.

How does Canadian gymnastics differ from gymnastics in the states? How do the levels work, and what would my dds compete? Any information helps.

Thanks!

Your level 10 DD would most likely fit into the national novice or national open depending on age, or provincial 5. Level 7 dd would fit into about p3 or depending on age and any skills she has above L7 she may fit into the pre novice program. Obviously I don't know your girls and their exact skills but the provincial levels are much more broad here, the difficulty in the routines is not only affected by the age but where you are in the country. I will find the pre novice program, the provincial program and I think I have found the national program for you to look through and see where your daughters fit. Another difference is that you can't compete until your 9, except in pre novice I think you can be 8? A good thing is that they won't have to test out of levels. I am sure bog will be able to give you specifics for gyms in Quebec, and maybe lead you towards a good gym.
Provincial program: http://www.gymnastique.qc.ca/telechargements/documents/CPP Chart 2011-12 EN FINAL June 2011.pdf
Pre novice: http://www.abgym.ab.ca/downloads/CPN2010-2011_PROGRAM_JULY10.doc.
National but it's a little confusing: http://www.gymcan.org/site/files/documents/supp_code09_nov_2010_v2_final_en.pdf

Levels here are pretty different from the one in the us. As your daughters are level 7 and 10, I think you should look for info on the provincial levels. In Quebec, there are for provincial levels. P2 (easiest) to P5 (hardest). Each of these levels are divided in age categories: argo (2003-2004), tyro (2001-2002), novice (2000-1999) and seniors (1998 and older). I think a level 7 would correspond to a P3. After P5, you have the national levels. First, pre-novice aspire and elite for the young gymnasts who are very talented. Then novice, junior and senior. There is also senior open for the older girls. Harder than P5 but the requirements are easier the elites'.

Here's a link for the requirements of each categories: http://www.gymcan.org/site/files/documents/cpp_charts_2012-13_en_june_2012.pdf . We don't compete P1 in Québec. Instead we use what we call a regional circuit. Anyway, your daughters are to advance for that. You'll also see that we use open scores...

There are good clubs in Montreal. For example, Wimgym has good gymnasts and they speak english. Gymnix is another one, a couple olympians came from that club.

Another difference is that you can't compete until your 9, except in pre novice I think you can be 8?

This year argos are born in 2003 and 2004, so you have to be 7 going on 8 before the end of the year.

Competitions are also different. you compete in three selections to qualify for the Coupe Quebec to Qualify for provincials. and there, if your level is high enough, you might compete in easterns championships. so girls usually don't have more than 5 competitions. All of these are individual competitions and we only give medals for the first 3 places. We give ribbons for places 4-8 usually.

It is lol we didn't even talked about defi! The good thing is you'll never have to drive far for competitions except maybe for the coupe quebec or provincials. And you're always competing with the same gymnasts, at least for the 3 selections

Great information given.

There are some very good clubs in Montreal, depending where you end up living. Some clearly are better with higher level girls than others.

I think many Americans find it odd how few meets our girls do, but some of the higher level girls and clubs do do a good travel meet in the USA now and again. Plus we do have the Gymnix International each year.

Meet season is from November to June, so meets are very spread out. It may be that your L10 is at Senior Open level and might be capable of our national streams.

If this happens to come to pass do look into the education situation. It might be more of an eye opener than the gymnastics. This will depend on whether you hubby was educated in English in Quebec or not.

Montreal is a great city, Canada is also a very nice country to end up in.

Bogwoppit wrote about education. That's a good point. Here I think we train less hour. For example, I was a P3-P4 gymnast when I stopped and trained a maximum of 13.5 hours a week during school year (that was the maximum if you were going to a normal public school), and 16 during the summer. Homeschool is pretty rare here, and as high school often ends around 4 pm... it limits the time available for training. You might wanna look for clubs that offer what we call in french sport-études. The club I'm coaching at offers it and the kids go to school for 4 hours in the morning and they train 4 hours in the afternoon. They have the week-end off.

Also (by judging the videos I saw on youtube) you might find that our gyms are smaller. Here the clubs are are mostly non-profite organisations. In my city (Québec) all four clubs are in installed in gymnasiums of high schools or other building. But we are lucky, we still have a pit. But we are working hard with the city to get a building just for gymnastics.

Good points Catou. In Montreal Gymnix ana WIMgym both offer sports etudes, but only WIMgym in English. It is a great programme as academics are accelerated and covered well and training is mostly within school time, freeing up the evenings for family time.

If I was moving to Montreal with girls at the level of yours I would probably only consider the two gyms above if I was living in Montreal. Gym Richelieu to the south of the city and Gymplus to the north are both good as well, for upper level girls. Though training in Montreal would be more bilingual, just remember even our skills have different names when we speak French.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back