How is it Possible to Skip L6 Entirely?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pixie had an exhibition that the L5-10 girls did this past Saturday. And having not been to the gym in a loOong time, I learned quite a bit from some of the parents.

One of the things I found out is that the girls that were competing L5 last season are skipping L6 without having to attain the mobility score. I'm just wondering how this is possible.

I was talking to one of the moms who's DD did L5 for two seasons. Had back tumbling fear issues last season and they thought she would have to spend a 3rd season in L5 but she overcame her fear one day and moved up with the rest of the L5's.

I told her how happy Pixie was for her, came home one day excited and told me that the girl got over her fears and got moved up to L7. The mom said well it's sort of L7. She explained that the teams in the area got together and decided to try Prep Op 7 this season.

Our gym does not have a L6 team. Usually doesn't except every blue moon.

I asked the mom if that means that the girls will have to compete one L6 meet and she said no. But, she couldn't tell me why. She didn't know. Since the conversation I've been really confused about it.

Is this because they are moving to prep op? If that is the case, what about when they move back to L7 or 8 next season? How will they justify mobility without having competed the L6 meet to score out?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
They can do Prep Opt without doing level 6 (the systems are separate). Not sure why they are calling it Prep Opt 7, I imagine this is just what they call it at your gym. But they will have to test out at level 6 before going back to JO level 7. Though you don't have to attend a "regular" meet to score out. A gym can obtain a sanction and hire a judge and hold their own in house meet for girls to get their score.

The gym isn't calling it prep op 7 the girls and this parent were. I'm guessing because this is new to them and not something our gym has done before this season.

I was wondering how they would get that L6 score in. It just seems strange to me that after they've competed with the higher skills that they will then go back after the season and learn the L6 routine to move to L7.

Maybe with them having to learn the harder routines, they'll be doing this season, it will be easier not to have them learn L6's as well? I'm guessing.

It just seems out of order to me, lol!

Last edited:
If they are doing prep op this year, then they don't need the L6 score. It won't be hard for them to go back and learn the L6 routines to score out. We had a couple of girls score out last year to go to L7 and they didn't work on any L6 routines until a week or two before the score out meet. They need only a 31, which isn't too difficult to get if you are already doing L7 skills. Vault and bars are much the same and with floor and beam it's just a matter of learning the routine. It will come back to them easily, particularly if they've done more than one year of L5 (the routines are really similar).

If they are doing prep op this year, then they don't need the L6 score. It won't be hard for them to go back and learn the L6 routines to score out. We had a couple of girls score out last year to go to L7 and they didn't work on any L6 routines until a week or two before the score out meet. They need only a 31, which isn't too difficult to get if you are already doing L7 skills. Vault and bars are much the same and with floor and beam it's just a matter of learning the routine. It will come back to them easily, particularly if they've done more than one year of L5 (the routines are really similar).
Thank you. This makes a lot of sense. I guess I just didn't see far enough ahead to realize that the L6 routines would probably be a no biggie at that point. I still see things from Pixie's vantage point since she hasn't gotten there yet. So, my comprehension is still at L4/L5. Maybe I'll get moved up next season. :p

I still see things from Pixie's vantage point since she hasn't gotten there yet. So, my comprehension is still at L4/L5. Maybe I'll get moved up next season. :p

LOL! I think you will get moved up! Seriously, I think learning that L5 floor routine is hard. It's a big step up from L4, where you just went back and forth in a line. But then L6 is really similar to L5 with the exception of the tumbling and a few other small things. And the girls get better at learning dance the longer they are in gym.

I am not sure why they even need to bother with Prep Opt at all. Couldn't they simply score out of level 6 early in the season and start working on level 7? And that is how they "skip?" Why do half a season or more of PO and then learn level 6 routine to score out....?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back