How is it where you are?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25901
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My sister is a ER Dr in a large heavily hit city. She said her and all her coworkers are NOT planning on getting the first vaccine that comes out. So many employees at her hospital said they didn’t want it that they may not even be ordering it now for their front line workers, according to her, she’s not 100% sure though. Definitely made me pause.

My husband has been told the Corps isn’t interested in the vaccine as of now, but I’m sure they can change their mind at will.

My sister is a ER Dr in a large heavily hit city. She said her and all her coworkers are NOT planning on getting the first vaccine that comes out. So many employees at her hospital said they didn’t want it that they may not even be ordering it now for their front line workers, according to her, she’s not 100% sure though. Definitely made me pause.

I have heard this from friends and family in the military and medical field as well and it doesn't seem to fall along political lines, at least with the people I have spoken with. It seems to be multi-faceted: they believe others need it more than they do; they have been on the front-lines and have fared well without it; they feel they have already caught it and/or are immune from it (there are theories that the front-line workers have built up a sort of immunity from being exposed so so many other similar viruses; similar to children and teachers with other viruses - though I am not aware of any studies regarding this yet); and lastly, they don't trust it - it is coming out too quickly and there is no data for long term repercussions.

I understand the military issue.(and agree about the vaccinated for everything part, my husband is a 23 year Marine Vet and often jokes about the myriad of Shots he endured). They are overwhelmingly young and healthy people who spend the majority of their time around other young and healthy people. I can understand them not jumping to the front of the line.(older Vets are another issue, they have been hard hit by this and should be at the front)

The health care worker issue I am less sure of. My daughter is a homeless outreach nurse who treats patients living outside and in shelters, spending about half her time now giving Covid tests. She will get it when first offered. She is not so much worried about getting the virus herself, but she is constantly worried about unwittingly giving the virus to her patients who often have underlying health issues.(also would like to see her grandparents without worries)

They are overwhelmingly young and healthy people who spend the majority of their time around other young and healthy people. I can understand them not jumping to the front of the line.(older Vets are another issue, they have been hard hit by this and should be at the front)
I think it’s this.

Especially given as there will be a limited supply. They are mostly young and healthy. They are going to let the doses go to higher risk folks.

I think it’s too early for most people to make a decision in regards to a vaccine. When an effective and safe vaccine is ready we will have more information in regards to testing, effectiveness, possible side effects, possible allergic reactions etc. It’s all still very speculative at this stage.

It’s the EUA for me. EUAs for medicines that have been on the market for years, ok, but a new vaccine that will likely be about as effective as the flu shot? ........ I’ll wait for an approval outside of emergency use & even then, it will depend on the type of vaccine administered.

It’s the EUA for me. EUAs for medicines that have been on the market for years, ok, but a new vaccine that will likely be about as effective as the flu shot? ........ I’ll wait for an approval outside of emergency use & even then, it will depend on the type of vaccine administered.
As of right now, its totally voluntary, but the I do think people who chose not to vaccinate will likely be prohibited from international travel, sending kids to school etc. It's really going to be a lot for people to wrap their head around as they make their decisions. I am very thankful for the volunteers who participated in the trials that tested the safety and efficacy of three vaccines so far.

I am very pro vaccination, but I would be not be happy about requiring the COVID vaccine for school attendance, especially as new as it is. The flu vaccine is not required and I imagine this vaccine will be similar to the flu vaccine. We almost always get a flu shot, but I would rather wait awhile and watch the effectiveness and what other potential side effects could come from this.

I am very pro vaccination, but I would be not be happy about requiring the COVID vaccine for school attendance, especially as new as it is. The flu vaccine is not required and I imagine this vaccine will be similar to the flu vaccine. We almost always get a flu shot, but I would rather wait awhile and watch the effectiveness and what other potential side effects could come from.

Quantas airlines today said that they would require vaccination for international travel and that they expect other airlines to follow suit. Massachusetts requires flu vaccination for school. My University requires proof of flu shot to return to work for all students, staff and faculty. Covid is such a public health threat I think it is likely that lots of spaces will require it for participation. People will still be able to opt out. I mean you can't hold someone down, But mass vaccination is our only exit strategy. So people who choose not to vaccinate are completely dependent on the people who do.

I can guarantee that I will be required to get the vaccine to work and to volunteer. It was written into one contract already that all parties would get it at their own expense. That contract has expired but it will be in others. I’m a little relieved that with my age and other factors I won’t be in the first few groups to receive it. I also have to get the flu shot each year.

Our government has said the vaccine won’t be compulsory, strongly encouraged but not compulsory. I have heard that in the US general vaccines are required to attend school? Don’t know if that is true but it is not the case here.

However, they do expect that vaccines will be required to travel overseas.

Our government has said the vaccine won’t be compulsory, strongly encouraged but not compulsory. I have heard that in the US general vaccines are required to attend school? Don’t know if that is true but it is not the case here.

However, they do expect that vaccines will be required to travel overseas.
In my state of Australia there is a ‘no jab, no play‘ policy for childcare and preschools. If you are not vaccinated, medically exempt, or on an approved catch up schedule, childcare and preschool settings are not allowed to enrol you. They fine the centres rather than the parents.

Primary and high schools don’t require vaccination, but they do require a vaccination certificate before you start so that they know what you have and haven’t had (an anti-vaxxer’s certificate would just be blank). Under the rules they have to enrol unvaccinated children, but they have to exclude them from school during outbreaks of vaccine preventable diseases. So until covid is no longer a pandemic, once a vaccine has been rolled out to the general public kids who don’t get the vaccine could be excluded from the school anyway. In outbreak areas at least, which, in fairness, is nowhere in Australia right now so it is more of a theoretical issue than an actual issue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back